Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Semi new computer build how to do clean install of W10?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

I had a computer that was AMD and needed the i7 for certain reasons so I had to switch to intel for certain requirements and could not stick with AMD any longer.  I put in a new intel based motherboard, an i7 CPU, and new memory.  Nothing else is new.  The HDD already had Windows 7 Pro full version installed on it and then went to W10 when they had the free switch over. 

Well, I had heard that Windows 10 is pretty good about being able to just switch over to the new board and such when you do what I am trying this but I am having problems.  It would restart after a little time but I can't get the new board DVD software drivers to install and have since realized that the platform difference is just too much for W10 to make it work properly. 

How do I do a clean install of Windows 10?  What is your suggestion? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

have you gone into device manager and tried to update/install the drivers?

the answer to your install question.....you can download a windows 10 ISO file and then create a bootable USB drive using a program like Rufus, doing this will lose everything on your computer/hard drive unless you back it up elsewhere

Edited by mikey11, 23 June 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

You've put yourself in a bit of a pickle, but perhaps contacting Microsoft will get you out of it.

Windows 10 digital entitlements (the activated valid license to use the OS) are directly tied to the motherboard in the system.  When you change that out you are, for all practical intents and purposes as far as Windows is concerned, starting with a new machine which means your existing license is no longer valid.  I have been told that Microsoft will do whatever it is they do to make it possible to reactivate Windows 10 on a machine where the motherboard has been changed out.  But you'd have to establish contact with them, explain the situation, and see what they say.

Otherwise, installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 is just a simple matter of downloading the ISO from the Windows 10 Download Page, creating bootable media, and using it to do a clean install.  Your problem is going to be that a license key will be expected if you want to activate Windows 10 since, as I noted before, as far as Microsoft is concerned absent further information this is a brand new machine if the motherboard has been replaced (and, of course, that's a new motherboard that's never been in a machine that had a legal digital entitlement stored for it).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

I can't get my nic to work so I don't have internet.

#5 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

If you purchase the full version which I had done you can move it as many times as you want.  I replaced a full version. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

Even with Windows 10 you cannot expect it to run properly after a switch from an AMD motherboard to an Intel. There are just too many differences in the hardware. Unfortunately from what I have read, if you switch out a MB the the Windows 10 digital license is no longer valid. Because you upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 you have a digital license stored on Microsoft servers that uses a hardware ID. 

There is a possibility you can use your Windows 7 pro key during the clean install. There has been some talk on the internet that Microsoft is still activating installs with a genuine Windows 7 or 8 key even though the free period is over. If activation fails then contact Microsoft directly. Ask for a live person and explain why you needed to install a new motherboard. Microsoft is pretty generous at transferring licenses if you give them a good reason.

If you live in the States contact them at (888) 571-2048 and ask for a live person.

The Media Creation tool will create a DVD or USB install for Windows 10

Make sure all your personal data is backed up. At the screen that asks for language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Type the following commands. I am assuming the new MB is UEFI.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X      Where X is the number of the disk you will be installing the OS to, usually 0.

clean                  Deletes all existing partitions

convert GPT      Initializes the disk as gpt for UEFI computers.

exit                     exits out of command prompt

exit                     exits out of diskpart

continue with the install

Edit: You can use any Windows 7 or later computer with the Media Creation Tool to create your install media.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2017 - 08:52 AM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

If you purchase the full version which I had done you can move it as many times as you want.  I replaced a full version. 

You replaced a "full version" of Windows 7 during the free upgrade period to Windows 10.  You still have a digital entitlement only for the MoBo that was in the machine when it was converted.

As has already been noted, I'd never expect a Win10 (or other Windows or other OS) installation for one type of hardware to ever function for a completely different type of hardware.  You will, as you've already determined, need to reinstall Windows 10 completely fresh.

I fully expect that you will have to speak to Microsoft about tweaking something so that this machine will activate without the need for a license key.  You can actually install without one, anyway, but Windows 10 will run in '30 day demo mode' at the end of which you will have to activate.  You're in "uncharted territory" as far as what I have direct experience with, but I've read enough (too much, actually) to know how Windows 10 licensing, activation, and digital entitlement works.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

I got it to all work out great. I did the refresh and put in my Windows 7 key and it all went great. Everything is installed and valid and running well

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

Wonderful!!   Happy computing!

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:51 AM

You can download a windows 10 ISO file and then create a bootable USB drive using a program like Rufus.

I am happy you installed Windows 10 without any issues!  As a side note I would like to mention that you do not need any 3rd party programs to put a Windows installation on a USB drive.  Simply insert your thumb drive into a USB slot, right click and format as fat32, then mount the Windows ISO, and copy all the files to the thumb drive.  Then reboot, and select the thumb drive to boot from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users