I have an Epson Perfection V800 Photo scanner. My operating system on this computer is Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate. Scanner was working great, until a couple months ago when I started getting this error message when trying to run EPSON Scan:
"Cannot cummunicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly setup and connected with no errors indicated. For detailed information, see Solving Problems in the User's Guide."
When I first started getting this error message, usually it would go away if I either restarted the scanner (on / off). Sometimes I had to restart the whole computer for it to go away. But the last few days, it will NOT go away. No matter what I do.
I Googled the error and found this very long guide that appears to have helped many others with the same problem: http://mamclain.com/?page=Blog_Personal_Projects_EPSON_Scan_Fix
However, at one point in the guide it tells me to go to EPSON Settings, which I can't, as I get this error message:
"Information for scanners that support EPSON Scan Settings is not installed. EPSON Scan Settings will close."
Also, the guide appears to have been written specifically for scanners connected through a wireless network, a feature my scanner does not have (it's connected through USB).
So far, I have tried (with no success):
- Switching the scanner's power off and back on, and then try to start EPSON Scan again.
- Disconnecting all cables, reconnecting it all, and then try to start EPSON Scan again.
- Uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and EPSON Scan utility.
- Updating the driver to the latest version.
- Consulting the Users Manual, where no useful tips relating to this problem could be found.
- Consulting Epson's website, where no useful tips relating to this problem could be found.
- Contacting Epson's customer service, which refused to answer ANY technical support issues, as they say my warranty has expired.
- Installing the scanner on a different computer, with a different operating system (Windows 7) to no avail.
It feels extremely frustrating this has happened to this scanner I paid nearly $900 for, and I didn't get to use it much at all either.
Any suggestions what I could try?