Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly slow PC overnight -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 poey27529

poey27529

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

So about a week ago i was just playing league of legends / overwatch and 60+ FPS no problem and never going below that. Then one night "i think there was a power outage, i leave my laptop plugged in on sleep mode" and the next morning everything was slow and i was getting 30 fps and lower. Right now i'm getting 60 fps in league the first 1-2 minutes then it drops down 20 fps the whole match and gets lower the longer i play.

Does anyone know the cause of this?!? I completely cleaned my laptops fan and it's not overheating.

I also bought a new hard drive and everything seems a little bit better but i'm still getting really bad FPS and now browsing. Everything just seems delayed and bad FPS. 

The only thing i have downloaded on this hard drive is windows 7 and drivers. So there is no possible way on earth it's a virus...

CAN YOU GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON WHAT I THINK THE PROBLEM IS

But i just did some thinking recently and i think i might know the problem. My laptop charger is not the same it came with. It has the right Voltage output but recently there has been a problem with it. If i accidentally bump the charger part that goes into my laptop it will stop charging until i wiggle it. 

So could my charger not be giving enough power to my laptop? In the past i have expereiecnce with that problem. I bought a charger that didn't give enough voltage for my laptop and everything was really slow until i got the right voltage charger.

TL:DR - My computer is slow  and i have no problems with any internal but my charger if i bump it. 

So do you think that could be the problem / could i check my charger in any way to see if it's causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

If i accidentally bump the charger part that goes into my laptop it will stop charging until i wiggle it.

I don't think that is the FPS problem, but you definitely have a problem with the charger. This is a common problem with laptops; after time, the stress on the charger connector (the plug that goes into the socket on the laptop (at the point where the wire connects to the jack itself) starts getting cracks in the wire from flexing and stress. As a result, when you "wiggle" the wire you actually are pushing those wires together again. When you accidentally bump the jack or the wire, the wires inside flex apart and break connection. Eventually it will fully break and your charger will no longer work.

As an alternative, sometimes it is not the plug wire that is breaking, but the socket installed in the laptop that it plugs into has a crack in it. That socket is actually a small circuit board and the socket is just lightly soldered to it. After a while the tiny solder joints that hold that socket onto the circuit board get cracks from the stress of the flexing plug and make and break connections. I have replaced several; I suggest you search on Youtube for your make and model laptop for a video on how to replace that circuit board.

Then one night "i think there was a power outage

This is probably the cause of your problem; try a system restore to a restore date immediately before the power outage. If that does not help, try a router and modem reset. If still no help, call your ISP and have them do a line check to see if you are getting proper transmission.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

Yes, that charge connector, adapter port for external power has a small switch in it and may even have a dual supply, one for charging and one for running the unit.  The loss of or reduction or one could force the unit to throttle down the power (and thus the FPS) to what it can handle with what's be supplied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users