Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do you collect? (as a hobby)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

I mentioned in my intro that I am disabled but that's work related. I'm personally disabled in that I'm hearing impaired and other things I don't care to mention. Because of my hearing problems I couldn't enjoy TV and movies as much as I'd like in the past. Now that subtitles and closed captions were becoming the norm I've been collecting TV and movie DVDs with cc/SDH on them.

I got them mostly from Walmart bargain bins and pawn shops but about 2 weeks ago my local thrift store had 3 tables full of TV seasons in both DVD and VCR. I bought a bunch as they were really cheap of TV shows I want and I've been dropping by every day to see what's new. Today was the last day when I found two seasons and I'm finally broke.  :grinner:

It started petering out anyway but I had a good run.  :lol:

I have almost 900 DVD movies and since I have so many I keep them in DVD cake boxes, no room for the cases.

S5031219.jpg

and the TV seasons from the thrift store:

TV shows with CC/SHD
--------------------

01 The Big Bang Theory - Season 2 - $2
02 All In The Family - Season 1 - $2
03 CSI:NY - Season 1 - $3
04 Northern Exposure - Season 2 - $2
05 Everybody Loves Raymond - Season 1 - $3
06 Arrested Development - Season 1 - $2
07 24 - 7th Seasons 4-6-7 - $8
08 Mad About You - Seasons 1-2-3 - $7
09 The War At Home - Season 1 - $2
10 Moonlighting - Season 1 - $3
11 Just Shoot Me - Seasons 1-2 - $3
12 House - Season 2-3-6 - $6
13 CSI - Season 5 - $3
14 ER - Season 1 - ($4)
15 That 70s Show - Season 1-3 - $(5)2
16 3rd Rock From The Sun - Season 1 - ($5)
17 Tales From The Crypt - Season 1 - ($5)
18 Married With Children - Season 1 - ($5)
19 The Jeff Foxsworthy Show - Season 1 - ($2)
20 Seinfeld - Season 1-2-3-4 - $9
21 X Files - Seasons 8-9 - $2
22 Castle - Season 1 - $2
23 Burn Notice - Season 1 - $2
24 Cheers - Season 1 - $3
25 The King of Queens - Season 3 - $3
26 Scrubs - Season 2 - $2
27 Nip Tuck Season 1 - $3
28 The Office - Season 1
29 F Troop - Season 1

Edited by MrSippi, 22 June 2017 - 09:45 PM.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:08 AM

As long as you'd be able to find a working player and TV that is able to connect to it, you'd have so much fun time in your 80s/90s, re-watching these old shows while rocking in your chair.:lmao:

BTW, are you born in the 1990s by any chance? Your collection features mostly TV series that I too have watched & I am born in 1995.

As for me, I don't really collect anything as a hobby. Some people have even expressed their views that I am an undercover minimalist, lol. From time to time I like collecting some things in my life, much like you with your TV shows, but I usually watch/utilize them and then get rid of the things that I have collected.

Cheers!:)

#3 MrSippi

MrSippi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

I was born in 1950, that makes me 67. I would love the older shows but they haven't captioned them. Being hearing impaired sucks big balloons.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

I see. Yeah, being not able to hear fully-well really is not nice, but at least you seem to adapt thoughtfully to the situation, unlike some people that I know.

BTW, I have found 'VLC media player' to be a pretty good program/app for playing your videos on and have never seen a program with better subtitles searching capabilities than it. (Although it should be noted that I haven't tried all digital video players - mostly Windows Media Player, BS Player, KM Player, Media Player Classic and the built-in Android Player in Android v. 4.0-6.0, and have found VLC media player to be the best overall, especially in terms of automatic subtitle searching with just the press of a button: the subtitles are usually either there or they are not; there is no searching or browsing through different libraries of subs, which I really like.) I do it because I like watching American movies and TV series and even though I know English (as a 2nd language), I sometimes don't quite get what the characters are saying so I require the help of subtitles. In my experience old TV shows and movies do have English subtitles readily available if the content is popular among watchers. For example, a month ago I watched Citizen Kane and VLC media player found and loaded English subtitles for it in about 5-7 seconds or so, despite it being a 1941 motion picture.

Not sure if this info will be of any sort of value to you, but in all cases I find it cool that you have amassed such a good TV series library. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 23 June 2017 - 08:43 AM.

#5 MrSippi

MrSippi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thanks, I am aware of it and had looked for subtitles for some programs with some success but not all.

All in fun.  :thumbup2:

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#6 MrSippi

MrSippi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Don't you guys have hobbies? 

Model kits, buttons, whatever? 

Edited by MrSippi, 24 June 2017 - 09:14 PM.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

My wife accused me of collecting ball caps. I said no. Then I got to looking around and I probably have over 20 ball caps. Most never get worn, Super Bowl momento's, that kind of thing... Or, maybe I collect cheap games. I have around 70 games on Steam. Mostly from Humble Bundle and Bundle Stars. I want one game, but get more in the bundle... Most have never been installed..

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 MrSippi

MrSippi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:32 AM

I've collected a bunch of early video games from the thrift store but found it won't run on W10. Later I found an HP Presario (AMD64 3700) for $5 with a dead HDD. Found an old drive in my junk box and got it running with an old Vista OS I have only to find it's lacking in memory. They're all tabled til I run across more mems to put in.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

I've collected a bunch of early video games from the thrift store but found it won't run on W10. Later I found an HP Presario (AMD64 3700) for $5 with a dead HDD. Found an old drive in my junk box and got it running with an old Vista OS I have only to find it's lacking in memory. They're all tabled til I run across more mems to put in.

Depending on how much memory it has instead of running Windows Vista find a copy of Windows XP and install it.

You should be able to go onto HP website and download to a usb thumb drive whatever drivers you need for that computer.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#10 MrSippi

MrSippi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

That's already done and I used Vista because it's what I have, no XP but I have Win95 as well. I'm thinking about trying out Linux with this computer. It's something to toy with.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#11 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

I collect enemies like all normal people on earth.

#12 KeturahWeston

KeturahWeston

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:04 PM

I collect beer labels and beer bottle caps. planning on framing the labels and decorating a coffee table with the bottle caps

#13 Nayr23

Nayr23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

Me I collect 90's NBA cards especially rare MJ cards. I also collect stamps, paper bills, and pull tabs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users