Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus A8n-sli Premium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:01 PM

I'm looking at getting this Asus A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard, but I'm a little worried about the layout of the first PCI-E slot and the RAM slots.

What I really need to know is, will this Asus GeForce 7950GX2 Video Card fit without overlapping the RAM slots?? It looks like it'll be pretty close, but I'm not quite sure.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:11 AM

I got the deluxe version, and I have to remove the graphics card to be able to remove the RAM. In size the 7950GX2 grows downward, so to say, and should fit just the same.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:58 AM

What would you say the pros and cons between the Deluxe and Premium versions are?

- Arlo Guthrie

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

The premium has a passive cooling solution, while the deluxe has a small loud fan. I got rid of the fan pretty fast, and have a Zalman heatsink on the north bridge.

Deluxe: Sounds like a airplane taking of.
Premium: May have cooling problems in a badly ventilated case.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:33 AM

It's a well ventilated case, so no worries there. But while we're somewhat near the subject of RAM...

At what point does RAM start to get bottlenecked at the processor? I'm planning on getting 2 gigs of Corsair XMS 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) RAM, but I'm also thinking about going ahead and getting 4 gigs.

Specs;
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard
ASUS Geforce 7950GX2 1GB Video Card
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 San Diego 2.8GHz Processor

My question.. Is it worth it? Will I see any performance increase in 2 to 4 gigs? Or will the extra just get slowed down at the processor?

- Arlo Guthrie

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:19 PM

Rule number one when it comes to RAM: "Unused RAM is wasted RAM". I better repeat that, since there are many who don't seem to want to remember it. Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Now as a rule more RAM means more work for the memory controller, so it will slow it down. On the Socket 939 it will mean maybe 2%-3% loss in gaming performance. The CPU is irrelevant. The other side of the coin is that if you have too little RAM your performance will suffer greatly.

Maybe I also should mention that unless you get a 64-bit windows (on which almost no games will run) you won't be able to use the full 4GB of memory.

Besides, I went with 2GB, so it must be the right choice.:thumbsup:

#7 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

One of those rare cases where more isn't necessarily better I see.

Side question; Why won't most games run on a 64-bit windows? :thumbsup:

- Arlo Guthrie

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

I've got 2 gB of RAM - but I like to play the latest games without bothering to change my system around. I like to play Half-Life 2, then Alt-Tab out to work on other projects (and other things like that).

The best judge of RAM is your Task Manager - use it to see what your system is doing while you work on it - both for the usual tasks, and for the demanding ones. You can check your RAM usage and your pagefile usage in real time using it.

64 bit games require different programming from 32 bit games - and there's not enough demand for the programmers to produce them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users