Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Enter password to unlock your keyring" in Chromium on new build Zorin OS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

I've just installed ZorinOS on my computer (alongside Windows 10 and Ubuntu, and it has a shared home directory with Ubuntu on a separate partition) and it comes with the Chromium browser pre-installed.

Whenever I launch Chromium, I receive a dialogue box as follows:

Enter your password to unlock your keyring
The password you use to your computer no longer matches that of your login keyring.

I have not set a keyring up, so I don't understand why I'm getting this.
I did also get the same under Ubuntu with Chromium, but as I had Firefox already I just got rid of Chromium.  It came up the instant I launched chromium
If I press Cancel three times, it finally lets me through and I can use Chromium
It doesn't matter what password I enter, I always get a message telling me that it's incorrect and to try again.

Can someone help me get rid of this most annoying prompt?

Please note that I won't be on the computer until after the weekend now so if I'm not quick to get back with any suggestions anyone has given or a thank-you note, then you'll know why.

Thanks!

Edit: Chromium is version 58.0.3029.110 built on Ubuntu and running on ZorinOS 64-bit

Edited by Angoid, 22 June 2017 - 04:32 PM.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

I have tried all of the so called fixes and I have not found any of them to work.

I'm still cancel three times and just accept that it is part of Chromium / Google Chrome crap and every other Chrome based browser.

I almost bet that Google is behind it somehow as it just seems to be Google I want to control your every move.

The only way to get rid of it is to create a password but then I'm sure you will half to enter that every time you open up Chromium.

I know this ain't any help but you are not alone.

Another reason to hate Google.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:00 AM

Actually it has nothing to do about google and more about how chrome based browsers use the keyring (and keep in mind firefox also uses a keyring)

Its a common problem in XFCE desktops but I am unsure what tweaks Zorin made to Gnome shell (as that is what Zorins new desktop is based on) but you could try to install seahorse as a first step.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:20 AM

Actually it has nothing to do about google and more about how chrome based browsers use the keyring (and keep in mind firefox also uses a keyring)

Its a common problem in XFCE desktops but I am unsure what tweaks Zorin made to Gnome shell (as that is what Zorins new desktop is based on) but you could try to install seahorse as a first step.

This is the right answer. I have just learned to accept it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,189 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

(and keep in mind firefox also uses a keyring)

Firefox doesn't have a stupid log in window every time you open it.

@Rocky Bennett

Good answer "I have just learned to accept it."  (reality)

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Ah, dearie me. I hate to say it, but we never even get a mention of this stupid keyring in Puppy.

The Slackware-based Pups do need to install libgnomekeyring before Chromium-based browsers will run.....but we never get asked for a password. Might be summat to do wi' Pup running as root, of course... (*shrug*)

Mike.  :)

EDIT:- This page from the Linux Mint Forums might provide some assistance.....something to do with 'auto-login' and ensuring your user password and the keyring password match?

Might be of some use, perhaps.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 23 June 2017 - 10:13 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,968 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

look at item number 15

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/tips#TOC-Disable-the-keyring-password-on-you

Edited by rburkartjo, 23 June 2017 - 10:31 AM.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,189 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

The "Easy Linux Tips" fix works real well. :cool:

Thanks

The Toolman

Edited by The-Toolman, 23 June 2017 - 10:33 PM.

#9 Angoid

Angoid
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:31 AM

Thanks folks, will take a look when I get a mo (not at home right now) and report back ....

The-Toolman, MadmanRB is correct: Chrome is built on Chromium, not vice versa.  As this is happening in Chromium, the issue is not Google's fault regardless of what one may think about Google.

It happened to me in Ubuntu when I tried to test-drive Chromium in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (with the Unity DE), but as I have Firefox there anyway I just ripped it out.

With Zorin, Chromium was built in so I thought I'd give it another go.  If I can't resolve it, I'll put down a different browser and rip Chromium out.

Pity, because it does seem to be quite a nice zippy browser...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#10 Angoid

Angoid
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

As per that item 15, the following command seemed to do the trick:

rm -v ~/.local/share/keyrings/*.keyring

When I next ran up chromium, it prompted to create a keyring so I created one using the same password as I log into this install as.

As always, make sure you know what any instruction is doing before you run it, and copy/paste via a text editor to make sure that what you thinjk you're copying and pasting is exactly what you get.

Thanks folks  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users