Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is This Thing Called? / MacGyver Workaround

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 merepseudmaged

merepseudmaged

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

[inb4 "hey n00b this has been answered" etc...]

Attached File  IMG_1309.JPG   112.19KB   0 downloads

So what is this thing called? It's some sort of ribbon lock / retention clip. Please help me put a name to this, in hopes of acquiring a few.

Attached File  IMG_1310.JPG   189.82KB   1 downloads

I have a Dell Inspiron 3520. Over six years old and never opened. I opened it to replace the fan and I wound up breaking two of these things. They were found on "PWBTN1" and the Touchpad plug. I was supposed to gingerly lift them, keep them in place, and then slide out the blue ribbons, but alas, I Rambo'd them something good and used a force I haven't used since I installed a 14.4 modem on my Gateway (American hog iron, son).

Thanks in advance for your help. All reverence bestowed upon thee, m'lord, and I am your humble servant etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

I can't count the number of times this has required the replacement of the board.  I've also replaced hundreds on refurbished bards with others of the same type but not the same design.  After about three years, especially on laptops, the heat cycles make the plastic very fragile.  Don't blame yourself, I've mangled a few myself and it is a problem for older units.

#3 merepseudmaged

merepseudmaged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

I can't count the number of times this has required the replacement of the board.  I've also replaced hundreds on refurbished bards with others of the same type but not the same design.  After about three years, especially on laptops, the heat cycles make the plastic very fragile.  Don't blame yourself, I've mangled a few myself and it is a problem for older units.

Thank you very much for reading and for your kind words. I've seen fellas jimmy ribbons into place using plastic bits and stuff, but this contraption seems different. Any thoughts on a workaround, or should I be looking for a dead board to salvage the piece? Or am I completely screwed?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

If you have some plastic from a blister pack or something similar you can try placing the ribbon in the connector and shimming the ribbon with the plastic to keep in place. Good Luck.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

Replacement with a new connector is preferred but not always the best unless you have the right skills and soldering station with vacuum.  Adding shims can help but can become dislodged over time.

#6 merepseudmaged

merepseudmaged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

If you have some plastic from a blister pack or something similar you can try placing the ribbon in the connector and shimming the ribbon with the plastic to keep in place. Good Luck.

Thanks John C! That's the fella I was talking about with the shimmy. Just wondering how well it will work with these tiny do-da pieces, sort of different but we'll see. I'll keep y'all posted. Just wanted to see if I could actually acquire that "part," or what that part is even called! Hate not knowing the names of things!

#7 merepseudmaged

merepseudmaged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

Replacement with a new connector is preferred but not always the best unless you have the right skills and soldering station with vacuum.  Adding shims can help but can become dislodged over time.

I can't solder to save my life. I'm more of a "splitting wood" and "installing bedroom windows" kind of guy, too much shaking hands (thanks, misspent childhood) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users