Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This should prove challenging....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mahat

Mahat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

Hi Everybody,

I am experimenting with an idea to bring off-grid solar-powered wifi networking into my home by accessing free wifi hotspots nearby.  I have the solar station and mast with a high-gain antenna already purchased and ready to go.

To access the wifi hotspots I purchased a Linksys WRT3200 ACM router, to which the external high-gain antennas will attach.  This will serve as my repeater.

What I need is to verify how to set up a home network from there. I don't think I can use the Linksys WRT3200 as both repeater/extender AND network router, yet I cannot find a (affordable) compatible dedicated repeater that will work with my antennas so that I can make better use of my existing Linksys.

My idea is to purchase another Linksys WRT3200 and link the second Linksys to the repeater via ethernet cable to serve as my router, thereby having only one network to worry about.

Questions:

1. Is there a simpler way do this, or should I buy the extra router and go this route?

2. I am largely ignorant as to how to set these up.

3. Aside from the host hotspot rules, with this configuration, could there be any potential conflicts with devices on my network that use a VPN, such as my laptop?

4. How to I prevent or control access of others to the repeater signal? Will hard-wiring it to the second router suffice, or are other precautions needed?

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:20 PM

As I understand it you will never own the network and will never be able to manage security or set up networking from wifi you are grabbing off the street. So you don't need a router, just the repeater.

You will always be at the mercy of others in terms of security and stability, a VPN may be able to help you to an extent in securing your content.

There is no way I would have my personal machine connected to public wifi, it's just looking to get hacked.

If I was you I'd just get your own connection.

#3 Mahat

Mahat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

Thank you.  I currently have my own connection.  As I understand it, Isn't there some way I can change an SSID number or something to make it harder for others to see me? And wouldn't having an extra router make this happen? 

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:45 PM

Yes you can obscure/hide your SSID so your network isn't easily detectable. Normally that's done in your router settings.

You can't do that on a network you don't manage though. I don't know how having an extra router would make a difference.

Edited by TsVk!, 22 June 2017 - 08:46 PM.

#5 Mahat

Mahat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Well, I have to have a router to do that. And if I'm using my router as repeater I can't also use it as a router, correct? Hence, my original question.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

You cannot a route a repeated signal in my understanding. You are not the network administrator and do not control it.

If you were creating a network bridge you could do that, but that would have to be configured from the source router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users