Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer does not stay on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fixmycomp101

fixmycomp101

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Hi, I tried turning on my secondary desktop after not using it for a few months, and it would not stay on. When I press the power button. sometimes it will turn on right away or take a minute or two but it will turn on. At this point, I can usually get into the bios and change things around and save. However, once I get to logging in an account the computer will just shut off. It doesn't always do it at the same time. sometimes when it's booting up it turns off and a few times I've gotten as far as the profile loading before turning off. I think it's an issue with the power supply but not completely sure. I have tried booting in safe mode and it still happens.

If you need more details please let me know.

Edited by hamluis, 22 June 2017 - 05:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hello,
The reason for that probably is overheating.
Since there is a protection for that your computer automatically turning off instead burning.
I will recommend checking the CPU fan if the fan running as normal probably the thermal paste between the CPU and the FAN is dry and that is the reason for overheating.
Please bear in mind that can be caused by the power supply as well I`m just guessing at the moment.
Check the CPU fan and cooling system as a start if the cooling system working fine we can continue troubleshooting RAM memory and HardDrive.
Many thanks,
Andy

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

This sounds like a bad power supply, or some dust has lodged between some power traces on the MOBO and a standoff/support. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users