Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win update and symantec

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joxtersenior

Joxtersenior

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

I've a decommissioned HP Elitebook Win 7 Pro.  It has an old Symantec Endpoint security installation.  I can use the machine OK but SE won't allow Windows security updates.  Last one was 18 months ago.  It ddoes allow Office updates.  Any way to get the missing updates?  I have installed Avast to cover my back.

JB   TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

if you have avast, uninstall the symantec

#3 Joxtersenior

Joxtersenior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:20 PM

TKs Mikey11.  Not so simple.  This was a corporate subscrip.  Company has relocated to S Africa and hasn't updated their sub.  I'm in limbo.  Have put it to Symantec who just tell me to use the password.  Not been used since 2015.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

That license was issued to the business entity named...which you are not.  I don't think that you have a valid claim to use Symantec, which means that you are without a valid AV program.

I would uninstall it...then use something that reflects a valid license or is free...and which will update.

Louis

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

TKs Mikey11.  Not so simple.  This was a corporate subscrip.  Company has relocated to S Africa and hasn't updated their sub

doesn't matter....you should still be able to uninstall it from your computer, then just use avast

Edited by mikey11, 22 June 2017 - 01:59 PM.

#6 Joxtersenior

Joxtersenior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

That's what IK have been trying to do: unfortunately the intelligent defence system provided by Symantec insists that don't have permission to delete or disable.  "please refer to your Administrator".  It's doing its primary job.

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

I suspect Windows 7 is using a Volume License.

To check your Product Key, download and run the free tool ShowKeyPlus...

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases

If GVLK (Group Volume License Key) shows, you are not licensed to use it, and you would need to purchase a retail license.

Edited by jwoods301, 22 June 2017 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users