Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning hdd

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Raymondo44

Raymondo44

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

I have run into a problem with cloning an SSD drive to a 1TB standard drive for my 2nd pc.

Using my pc, (turned off),  I disconnected 1 of my drives and connected the SSD, which is the system drive for my 2nd pc, using the cables from the disconnected drive. The destination disk  (a WD 1TB), is in an external usb SATA device.

Firstly, when I switched on I had a dreaded B.S.O.D., and my system hung.

I then turned off the pc, disconnected the SSD and rebooted.

Next, I re-connected the SSD, with the system on but it did not show up in COMPUTER.

I note in the UEFI  BIOS screen it shows HOT PLUG  as an option for each of the SATA drives.

Should I enable this for the SSD SATA drive that I want to clone from, or is there something else I need to do?

Please, any help much appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 22 June 2017 - 12:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:30 AM

Would it not be possible to clone the SSD to the 1TB drive in your 2nd PC using the external USB? Your 2nd PC boots correctly with SSD currently, correct?

#3 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. Unfortunately, the 2nd pc does not boot at the present. I am actually wanting to clone the SSD to the 1TB drive so as to be the main solo drive. The SSD will then be the source disk for another pc  having cloned it with a 500GB drive, which in turn will be a 2nd drive in the 3rd pc.

I did connect the SSD to my pc via the external usb SATA device and the data on it appeared to be correct.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

If the 2nd PC cannot boot from the SSD then cloning to a 1TB hard drive will not remove the problem of the 2nd PC not booting. What program did you use to clone the drives?

#5 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:34 AM

I am using AOMEI Backupper Standard 4.0.4. The 2nd pc is not booting at the mo., and I am going through checks to resolve it. Basically,  the front panel on/off switch failed and after some time I received a replacement unit. There is a difference with the new unit, in that it only has a RESET  connector - no PWR  connector. I assume that it doesn't matter, since the RESET connector is wired to the POWER  button on the front panel.

Other than this, I changed nothing and still going through checks. 

When I switch on this pc., hdd led stays on, fans are working but I don't have display. Tried the on-board graphics (vga - cable) and also PCIe nVidia card (HDMI - cable). This is why I took out the SSD to check it was working, as well as cloning.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:31 AM

You should post your above reply in the BC Internal Hardware Forum where it has more of a chance of getting responed to. I would also post the make and model of the computer or MB if custom built.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#7 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:29 PM

Your second PC is desktop? It looks a problem with your power supply to me.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:57 AM

malwarepc, you are suggesting the end-user "add-up" the wattage requirements of the desktop and compare it to the present power supply inside said desktop; and a voltage / amperage / wattage meter would be helpful, correct?  I'm going to learn alongside the thread starter as to the resolution set.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:00 AM

Raymondo, I might have missed it, did you already try usb or dvd booting a backup / restore / cloning utility and try it that way? 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:04 AM

I apologies because I misread the OP. I thought the second PC was the one not working...

So...

Yes, you must enable Hot Swap each of the devices, this case the SSD.

Why you want to clone it and not just make a backup of the files??

The BSOD was due to it booted in a new system with different hardware (most probably).

Could you clarify a little more? Your first PC and your second? What do you mean by 'I was given a replace unit'? Could you separate and tell us the problems with each one of the PCs? Are desktops? Please Name each PC with a name so we don't mess up (okey, so I don't mess up haha). Have you posted to the hardware forum?

Edited by malwaredpc, 11 July 2017 - 03:16 AM.

#11 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:24 AM

malwarepc, you are suggesting the end-user "add-up" the wattage requirements of the desktop and compare it to the present power supply inside said desktop; and a voltage / amperage / wattage meter would be helpful, correct?  I'm going to learn alongside the thread starter as to the resolution set.

Not exactly. Yes, a meter would help. However, I misread the topic and after rereading it I'm confused on which PC is happening which thing. So forget the post for now.

#12 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:26 AM

Are you trying to clone to an external drive and use this external HDD to be the OS host, booting up from it? Because I am not really sure if it is possibly to use an external HDD as an bootable OS host.

Edited by malwaredpc, 11 July 2017 - 03:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users