Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitlocker locked my external HD even though I have home edition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NuF

NuF

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

Hi everybody,

My laptop says it has locked my external hard drive with bitlocker even though i never asked it to do that.

Furthermore, I read that windows 10 home edition doesn't even have bitlocker. I'm in big trouble here as not only my main HD is locked but also my backup HD.

I'm flabbergasted as what happened here without any mistake from my side that I can see. Years of work data are gone.

I would be very happy if someone has an idea what I could do.

Thank you very much and kind regards,

Dom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

You are correct in saying there is no Bitlocker in the Home Edition. I have no idea why this has happened to you. Can you get to the login screen? If so then it may be possible to access Safe Mode. At the login screen press Shift + Restart. 

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Is SecureBoot enabled in UEFI settings? 

When you attach the external to another computer is the drive encrypted?

#3 NuF

NuF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

Thank you for your answer,

I booted in safe mode but still cannot access the HD. When I click on it it says that acces is denied. In the lower right corner in non safe mode a message pops up that says it was encrypted by bitlocker and asks me for a password that I don`t have because it never told me that it is encryptung stuff. 

Through some reading I was able to get something like a password but it these passwords are not correct, seems like they have to be all numbers:

ECCF009D-70E7-4C69-8E50-0BCD72AFC23A

External key:

ID: {46E1CF00-6D88-4814-AA71-28BDF9EDF35E}

46E1CF00-6D88-4814-AA71-28BDF9EDF35E.BEKECCF009D-70E7-4C69-8E50-0BCD72AFC23A}

ID: {46E1CF00-6D88-4814-AA71-28BDF9EDF35E}

46E1CF00-6D88-4814-AA71-28BDF9EDF35E.BEK

Is this helpful?

I saw that windows defender placed some files on that HD under quarantine but i can`t restore those files. Could that have something to do with it? Does it make sense to restore windows to a previous date?

When i connect the HD to another Windows 10 laptop it gives the same message.

Thanks again

Edited by NuF, 22 June 2017 - 08:37 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

If Windows Defender placed files under Quarantine it's possible a malware infection somehow installed Bitlocker on the computer.

I am not familiar enough with Bitlocker to offer any help regarding encryption keys. Hopefully somebody else can provide answers to your questions regarding Bitlocker. 

I would not attempt to do anything else such as try a System Restore as this may make things worse.

Edit: This is for Windows 7 but does option one work for recovering the key and opening the external drive on your other computer?

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/210071-bitlocker-drive-encryption-unlock-locked-data-removable-drive.html

This will only work until the computer is shutdown so you will need to copy any data to the internal drive before removing the external.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 June 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#5 NuF

NuF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

My problem is that I only have the keys I showed above but not a file with the 48 digit key. Maybe there is a way to generate the right password from the keys that I have? Some kind of converter?

To me this is weird as I´m using the same HD and laptop all the time and suddenly this just happened.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

Yeah, I feel your pain. I don't know how to proceed, unfortunately. It may be necessary to consult a professional data recovery service but they are not cheap. They do give free quotes. One of the better ones is DriveSavers. I don't know if they can recover bitlocker drives though. They do have a toll-free number.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

#7 NuF

NuF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

Thanks again, from all I read it is not possible to recover data from a bitlocked device. It´s really kind of devastating since I didn`t even know what bitlocker was and it is not even supposed to be accessible in Windows 10 Home.

Even now I can`t find bitlocker on this laptop. I urge everybody to back up their data on a HD they know has not for some reason been involuntarily destroyed by bitlocker.

I really hope there is still a way, maybe over this key...

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

Your Welcome,

Hindsight is 20/20 but as you have found out always backup your data you cannot afford to lose to a secondary location and even better if the backup is offsite such as the cloud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users