Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

confusing information Malwarebytes Antimalware, BP downloads page

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:51 AM

I looked at BleepingComputer downloads page for any information on Malwarebytes Antimalware, and also on the Malwarebyes website.  Confusion is this:

Three different download buttons, two are each a version 2.2 and a version 1.75, but main title says 3.1.2. Which needs to be picked? Two different computers to try, one with Vista, other with windows 10. Malwarebytes Antimalware really still free? Is possible to install so that Real-time scanning is DISABLED upon installation? I already have a paid commercial protection security product installed. I would not want interference or failed installation or one product interfering with the other product. I'm interested in the FREE MBAM. Probable plan is to use it on the Windows Vista machine.

Written on forum here because trying to put in a message in your downloads - malwarebytes section gives no way to send the message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:56 AM

As you can see at the link provided below...MBAM has a 14 day trial during which the full version will run. After that, if you have not purchased

it will no longer provide real time protection and will need to be manually updated to scan. You can use its settings during the l4 day trial to disable

the real time protection.

Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Malware Removal

Malwarebytes 3 FREE TRIAL reverts to a manual scanner that detects and cleans up malware infections only when you run a scan. You can upgrade to Premium at any time.

You don't mention which security program(s) you use but if you want to know if MBAM is compatible or has other known problems with it, suggest you

post the name of the program or do a search similar to XXXXXXXXX conflicts with MBAM...xxxxxxxx being the name of your security program.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

MBAM 3 Requirements:

Software requirements
Windows 10 (32/64-bit)
Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)
Windows 8 (32/64-bit)
Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
Windows Vista (Service Pack 1 or later, 32/64-bit)*
Windows XP (Service Pack 3 or later, 32-bit only)*
Active Internet connection

Hardware Requirements
800MHz CPU or faster, with SSE2 technology
2048 MB (64-bit OS), 1024 MB (32-bit OS, except 512 MB for Windows XP)
250 MB of free hard disk space
1024x768 or higher screen resolution

*The anti-ransomware protection component is only available on Windows 7 or higher

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

buddy215

I am not willing to disable my current product just in order to install and then disable real-time scanning of Malwarebytes.  My current security protection product is Norton Security on Windows Vista 32-bit.

There was a previous or earlier Malwarebytes Anti Malware product ,  FREE, which only did on-demand scanning.  There was no problem having a Norton product installed and then installing Malwarebytes AntiMalware in addition to the Norton product being present.    (That was when I had a Windows XP machine).

MBAM appears to be the wrong product for me.  Time to try reading about the others.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:56 PM

Would doing this be a safe method for the computer, Norton Security, and Malwarebytes AnitMalware?

(Version 2.2 MBAM as downloadable from B.P. site)

1. Turn OFF Norton Autoprotect
  2. Restart computer
  3. Run the installer of MBAM
  4. Restart (if needed)
  5. Disable all of MBAM's Real-Time Protections
  6. Enable Norton Security Autoprotect
  7. Restart (if needed)

The idea is keep MBAM and Norton from interfering with each other.

Edited by cafejose, 23 June 2017 - 09:02 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium works well and should run alongside your existing antivirus software without problems. In fact, Malwarebytes has been conducting AV Compatibility Testing for years. In some rare instances, you may need to add exclusions for both the anti-virus and Malwarebytes in their respective exclusions list to resolve problems and achieve the best possible system performance.

BTW...

End of Life: The date when we will no longer provide technical support on an older version of our software, exactly 6 months after the End of Maintenance date for home applications and 12 months after End of Maintenance for business and technician applications.

Anti-Malware (LEGACY)
Version 2.2.1...End of Life 6/8/17

Malwarebytes Home Products Lifecycle Policy...Product Lifecycle Matrix
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:15 AM

A recent example of Norton and MBAM being installed on the same computer. In this case MBAM outperformed Norton in

finding and removing what Norton couldn't remove. (2 pages)

Infected with Trojan.Kotver!gm2 - Am I infected? What do I do?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

A recent example of Norton and MBAM being installed on the same computer. In this case MBAM outperformed Norton in

finding and removing what Norton couldn't remove. 

And to reinforce your point, this goes back to what's been said many times on BC in many situations:  antivirus and antimalware do not look for precisely the same sorts of threats.   There are lots of "infections" that are not viruses and won't be found by an antivirus.  Also, depending on "who learns what, and when" can strongly influence what gets found by a given scanner.

I believe that quietman7 always states something along the lines of, "Security must involve a multifaceted approach."   And you yourself nailed it in the final post in the thread you referenced, "The most important security program is 'between your ears'."   Almost every infection or cluster of infections I've been called upon to clean up have been the direct result of the user inviting them in, and very often knowing the second that they've pressed/clicked something that they shouldn't have that they shouldn't have.  Thinking about what you're about to do before doing it is the best defense when it comes to keeping your computer secure.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users