Never found a solution to this when I got stuck recently so I'll post it here in case it helps anyone.
So my Win 10 started updating to the Creators edition, everything was going fine but then at like 40% updated the screen goes black and I get nothing...
Essentially the new video drivers are a bit crappy. If you don't have a video card I'm not sure how you'll be able to get the update as my solution rests on your having one.
So from my tests the problem occurs if:
- your doing Win 10 update
- run your screen through the Mobo and not a graphics card
- pre update switch to screen through PCI
Slow solution (if you did get a black screen during update):
- Cause your system to crash (hold the power button straight after boot) so it takes you to the Win didn't load properly menu.
- Start a safe boot
- Open Device Manager and disable any video drivers you have
- Reboot and your problem should be fixed.