Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed Lubuntu 17.04. Strangeness ensued.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 cooljay

cooljay

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:51 PM

Last night I installed Lubuntu 17.04 on the old Toshiba NB505. So far everything is different from Lubuntu 16 I installed a while ago on the eeePC. Not only is it more sleek somehow, but even what happens in the Terminal is different.

For example, I tried to enable the firewall. I typed sudo ufw enable.

Instead of asking for the password it simply states; Firewall is active and enabled on system startup.

Also, it calls itself lubuntu@lubuntu. Instead of in Lubuntu 16 it was my username and I think 1050 or something.

And on the desktop there is still the Lubuntu 17.04 icon saying to install it.

What gives?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

In addition, I think I again did something wrong. After the installation it told me I need to restart it. Which I did, but not before I took out the USB from which I installed it. Now I'm thinking I made a mistake because at startup I again saw the screen where I had chosen to install Lubuntu.

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hey cooljay,

I have Lubuntu 16.04 installed on a old Compaq laptop and it has been without problems from the git go.

Since your 17.04 is giving you a problem I would do a complete new install.

I would also recommend Lubuntu 16.04 LTS instead of 17.04 as I think 17.04 is only a 9 month support and then time to reinstall.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:31 PM

Thanks Toolman. I actually already did a new install, so what I described is the second one. I really don't think it's me this time. It's just different from the old version.

I basically followed these instructions (that I just came upon now), http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2017/05/how-to-install-lubuntu-1704.html

minus the partitioning part of it. I installed over the old Windows without partitions at all but the rest, including the screen shots are identical. Notice he doesn't say whether to remove the usb drive or not. This is typical, this stuff is thought to be understood by everyone, but believe me, it is not. It's a legitimate question if you should leave it in or not.

By the way, support for this one is 3 years, I made sure of that.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

Can you run this in terminal and post the output please

sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

I again saw the screen where I had chosen to install Lubuntu.

That sounds like its booting from the live ISO.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:53 PM

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZestyZapus/ReleaseNotes

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:01 AM

I don't think so.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZestyZapus/ReleaseNotes

Support lifespan

Ubuntu 17.04 will be supported for 9 months until January 2018. If you need Long Term Support, it is recommended you use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS instead.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

Can you run this in terminal and post the output please

sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

I again saw the screen where I had chosen to install Lubuntu.

That sounds like its booting from the live ISO.

I agree.

Give Nick's command a go and post back. But I am with toolman on doing a complete new install.

If this is a play around with Linux, having one with only 9 months of support is up to you. If its anything like I would do, I'd probably have a new distro on there before then anyway.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

Deimus, exactly, lol. I did - obviously - read that incorrectly about the support, and yes, I am playing around and will install something else before that's up.

Nick, I agree it feels like it's booting from the live disk, but why? It asked if I only wanted to try it or install it, and I installed it. Twice now.

I put in that command. Here is what came up. (I just clicked on it and it's really small. Let me know if I should upload larger version.)

[attachment=195465:IMG_4301.JPG]

Edited by cooljay, 22 June 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

It is pretty small. Just copy and paste the output from the terminal to here.

#11 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

lol Deimos, I'm not online yet with the linux computer. Here it is bigger.

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

Hmm.. yeah there is no mount point on /sda. Which is where I assume you want to install it. Are you booting up each time with the USB drive in? What happens when you take it out?

#13 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

That's why I had to install it again. But why is this happening?

It shouldn't have been a live usb? I was using the wrong installer? Everything was going so well, I was really happy about it. It showed the partition with Windows if I wanted it and I chose not to, but install on hard drive erasing Windows.

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

Hmm... that is a bit strange. Only one installer to use.. so you didn't do anything wrong there. Give it another go. Maybe use the manual partition scheme instead of the automatic one.

Take a look here. Lubuntu should use the same installer as Ubuntu.. as far as I know. Doing it this way you can make sure it selects the /sda volume. All you need is the "/" (root) mount point. No need to get overly complicated with separate /home partitions and the like.

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

Hi, cooljay.

Oh, yeah; that's definitely the 'live' whatever. The 'squashfs' mentioned in the requested output is the 'casper' thingy that the 'buntu-based distros use for the OS filesystem in the 'live' version; it's similar to what my Pups use, TBH.

I agree with everyone else. The 16.04 LTS version would be more stable, and better suited for your needs anyway. The 'in-between' versions are all basically 'testing' versions, with only 9 months support.....and Lubuntu's LTS support is usually somewhat shorter than the standard 'buntu releases; 3 yrs as opposed to 5. You'd have to ask Clement LeFebvre the reason for that one, I'm afraid..!

If it was me, I'd do the install from a CD/DVD; I always had problems installing any of the 'buntus using UNetbootin on a USB. With the 'buntus, you always get told to remove the disc before re-booting; it's a built-in part of the shutdown procedure for the 'live' session. Never bothered with Rufus, 'cos I'd already dumped Windows by that time anyway. In April of 2014, at XP's EOL, I burned a disc of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and wiped Windows out of my life, just like that. Never looked back since. Every re-install (or new install, for multi-booting), has always been accomplished with Linux tools from that point on.....

I would say a re-install with the Long Term Support version is the way to go, installed from an optical disc.....or wait; is this the machine without an optical drive in it? I forget.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 22 June 2017 - 06:08 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users