Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rayal49

Rayal49

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

Hi, This question has probably been asked before,  I want to install XP on a computer that is at present using Windows 7, to run some old programs (I have tried compatiblity mode- did not work).

What do I need to do to achieve this without too much trouble?

The computer I am using for this is a Toshiba C660D .

Thanks for any help

Rayal49

Rayal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

Look here, Windows 7: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP. https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Or, buy a 64Gb USB flash drive and install XP on there with the XP install CD.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#3 Rayal49

Rayal49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

Sorry, I do not want to Dual boot, I want to delete Windows 7 completely and install Windows XP instead. I have a genuine XP cd rom and product key

Rayal49

Edited by Rayal49, 21 June 2017 - 07:20 PM.

Rayal

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:51 PM

Looking at the driver download page here it appears that Toshiba have not released drivers for your PC model that support XP.

Please confirm the page is correct for your model.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:56 PM

Hi, This question has probably been asked before,  I want to install XP on a computer that is at present using Windows 7, to run some old programs (I have tried compatiblity mode- did not work).

What do I need to do to achieve this without too much trouble?

The computer I am using for this is a Toshiba C660D .

Thanks for any help

Rayal49

Another option is to run Windows XP in a virtual machine on the Windows 7 system.

You might consider Oracle VM VirtualBox...

https://www.virtualbox.org/

#6 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:34 AM

Sorry, I do not want to Dual boot, I want to delete Windows 7 completely and install Windows XP instead. I have a genuine XP cd rom and product key
  Rayal49

Unless it's an OEM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer), any "genuine XP cd rom" after 30 days of install will STOP logging in because you can't register XP online anymore.

Looking at the driver download page here it appears that Toshiba have not released drivers for your PC model that support XP.

Please confirm the page is correct for your model.

That's why I suggest to; "Or, buy a 64Gb USB flash drive and install XP on there with the XP install CD."

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

When did Microsoft stop activating XP online? I installed XP from my "genuine XP cd rom" 18 days ago, and activated it online no problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/307890/how-to-activate-windows-xp

(After updating, I disabled all network connections for security)

Edited by Al1000, 22 June 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#8 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:27 PM

When did Microsoft stop activating XP online? I installed XP from my "genuine XP cd rom" 18 days ago, and activated it online no problem.https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/307890/how-to-activate-windows-xp(After updating, I disabled all network connections for security)

Wednesday last week with a genuine XP Pro CD ROM. After numerous attempts with the laptop connected to the Internet (ping tested), I gave up. So I just installed my activation crack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users