Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Predictably Losing Internet Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dvation

dvation

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

After struggling on Windows 8.1 with an internet (wired) connection that would die every 48 hours, I decided to try upgrading to Windows 10 hoping that improved diagnostics might help resolve the issue...it hasn't :( 

Currently on Windows 10 1703. The symptoms were identical on Windows 8.1 as Windows 10.

What I've tried:

·         I've uninstalled everything I can think of that would affect and/or modify network adapters... I've uninstalled NOD32, any anti-malware products, VPN products.

·         I've disabled every non-microsoft service

·         I've removed any hidden network adapters

·         I've disabled windows firewall

·         I've reset the tcp/ip stack, flushed dns, tried disabling/re-enabling the network adapter. 

·         I've run 'netsh winsock reset', 'netsh int ip reset', 'ipconfig /release' / 'ipconfig /renew' and 'ipconfig /flushdns'

·         I updated my Intel I217-V network adapter drivers to the latest Intel release while on 8.1. On Windows 10 I'm using the Microsoft driver.

·         I've tried the Windows 10 'Network Reset' 

·         When I lose internet connection, I've tried the Network Troubleshooter in 8.1 and 10 and neither can identify a problem.

·         I've tried changing DNS to Google (8.8.8.8 / 4.4.4.4)

The problem does not exist while in safe mode with networking enabled.

All other wired and wireless devices on the network have no issues with internet connectivity. 

The only way I've been able to solve the problem once my internet connection drops is to restart the computer.

Once the issue occurs, I can still ping and tracert to external domains. However I can no longer use telnet to connect to external domains (I could connect on ALL these ports while network connectivity was working). 

I can't go back to a prior restore point because I (apparently) had only allocated enough space for one restore and by the time I tried it, the most recent restore point was AFTER I started having the issues so no dice there either!

ANY idea what else I can try? 

C:\WINDOWS\system32>telnet portquiz.net 8080

Connecting To portquiz.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 8080: Connect failed

C:\WINDOWS\system32>telnet portquiz.net 80
Connecting To portquiz.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80: Connect failed

C:\WINDOWS\system32>telnet portquiz.net 443
Connecting To portquiz.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 443: Connect failed

C:\WINDOWS\system32>telnet portquiz.net 22
Connecting To portquiz.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 22: Connect failed

C:\WINDOWS\system32>telnet portquiz.net 23
Connecting To portquiz.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

C:\WINDOWS\system32>telnet portquiz.net 37
Connecting To portquiz.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 37: Connect failed

C:\WINDOWS\system32>telnet portquiz.net 110
Connecting To portquiz.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 110: Connect failed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

You may want to consider a USB to Ethernet adapter. Unfortunately you only can get gigabit by using a USB 3 port. USB 3.0 adapter. If you go this route make sure you get one compatible with Windows 10.

Was the install an upgrade from 8.1 or a complete clean install of Windows 10?

To determine if this is hardware related you could boot a live linux disk like Mint and run the computer for 48 hours to see if the connection disconnects. Unfortunately you would need another Windows computer if you plan on running Windows programs during those 48 hours.

Mint Cinnamon

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

You might also look at your router's logs.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

You might also look at your router's logs.

That's a very good point, especially as it happens at regular intervals. Take a look at your event logs too.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 June 2017 - 06:06 PM.

#5 dvation

dvation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

You may want to consider a USB to Ethernet adapter. Unfortunately you only can get gigabit by using a USB 3 port. USB 3.0 adapter. If you go this route make sure you get one compatible with Windows 10.

Was the install an upgrade from 8.1 or a complete clean install of Windows 10?

To determine if this is hardware related you could boot a live linux disk like Mint and run the computer for 48 hours to see if the connection disconnects. Unfortunately you would need another Windows computer if you plan on running Windows programs during those 48 hours.

Mint Cinnamon

I have a USB ethernet adapter so I just installed it and switched over my network cable. Unfortunately I won't know if it made any difference for 48 hours :)

I did an upgrade to Windows 10 - not a clean install.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

If the Ethernet adapter does not solve the problem I would recommend a clean install after backing up your data, preferably by creating a complete disk image to a USB external drive with imaging software such as Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. Also back up your license files for any of your purchased programs. 

Use the Media Creation Tool to get the latest version of Windows 10. Because Windows 10 has been activated with a digital license skip entering the key when asked during install. 

Follow this guide. It's for Windows 8 but he same procedure holds for Windows 10. You want to delete all partitions on the disk.

#7 dvation

dvation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

Well, unfortunately, same behavior with the external usb ethernet adapter.

Looked through router logs and came up with nothing (I have all possible logging enabled).

HOWEVER, I did get some new information from the event logs. Around the same time I lost network connectivity the following events were logged:

Tcpip 4231: A request to allocate an ephemeral port number from the global TCP port space has failed due to all such ports being in use.

Tcpip 4227: TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected local endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote endpoint. This error typically occurs when outgoing connections are opened and closed at a high rate, causing all available local ports to be used and forcing TCP/IP to reuse a local port for an outgoing connection. To minimize the risk of data corruption, the TCP/IP standard requires a minimum time period to elapse between successive connections from a given local endpoint to a given remote endpoint.

I then found THIS thread on reddit from a user that blames a patch deployed in April with is consistent with when I also started experiencing the problem!

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsserver2012/comments/68vgss/april_2017_windows_patches_on_windows_server_2012/

I also found this post that suggests a registry change:

https://borncity.com/win/2016/12/20/events-id-4231-and-4227-tcpip-no-internet-connection/

I'm going to keep reading through the reddit thread and make the registry change to see if it helps. Any futher advice in the meantime would be welcomed!

#8 dvation

dvation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

Just thought I'd post an update - after reading through the thread it looks like disconnected iscsi targets were eating up all the tcpip port.

Turns out, I had a disconnect iscsi target so I just delete it. Fingers crossed that this was the problem...those sneaky windows updates, man!!!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:24 AM

Nice Troubleshooting. I am not familiar with iscsi targets. Can you explain how you deleted it? From doing a quick google it seems to be related to servers.

#10 dvation

dvation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

I opened the iSCSI Initiator app where I had listed an iSCSI target I was using with my QNAP nas and forgot that I had stopped using it (using SMB shares instead). Was fine for months (maybe years?) until one of those Microsoft patches in April.

Just selected the target from the list, clicked Disconnect and it was gone. I'll need 48 hours to confirmed it worked but it seems like this was the culprit. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users