Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amazon.ca perplexing security concern

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sarai81

sarai81

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Hi all,

I had something strange happen with my amazon.ca account earlier today. I went to the website with the intention of making a purchase and noticed something odd. I was logged in with a different email address which I did not recognise. I had not made any purchases with amazon since last March, and even had two items in the cart. Only I use this laptop and it's brand new, no one else logs into it. I am wondering how I ended up being on someone else's account? I called amazon right away and the rep was very perplexed, he had never heard of anything like this and forwarded it to their security team. I was informed I would not be getting an update on what happened which was pretty frustrating to hear. I'm hoping someone can help me understand how this happened? How can I end up on someone else's account like that? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

My uneducated guess would be that the problem is probably some mix up by your ISP for your IP which has been briefly assigned to someone else who while using it logged onto Amazon and now the website recognizes that IP with their profile and now that you have this same IP address, Amazon has automatically logged you into the profile of the other person.

I am not at all good with my knowledge on this topic though, so I could be off by a long shot!

Edited by Just_One_Question, 21 June 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#3 sarai81

sarai81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. I recently installed a new VPN and I'm wondering if that might have played a part. 

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:30 AM

I'm not so sure...

Accounts don't work off of public IP addresses...those can change frequently.

You need to provide an email address and a password before signing in to Amazon.

There is no "automatic sign in", unless you are using a password manager.

If you use something like Roboform, you may have more than one sign in entry for Amazon.

It could also be another account number linked to your email address, which would be an issue on Amazon's side.

Either way, since it has been a while since you signed in, I would recommend changing your password on Amazon.

Edited by jwoods301, 22 June 2017 - 12:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users