Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox opening by itself

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 jpjjmm

jpjjmm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

I am not sure even where to start but will try to keep it simple.  Firefox keeps opening on its own and tried to go to a couple sites it some how picks.  This happens even if I don'g have firefox open.  It even happens when I have my internet connection turned off.  If left alone I have seen it try to open over hundred sites.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RayS

RayS

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

Hello jpjjmm,

My name is Ray and I'll be assisting you with your issue. Please give me a day or two to review your logs and prepare a reply. Since I'm still a trainee, all my posts have to be reviewed by my instructor prior to being posted to make sure that you receive the best assistance possible.

Thank you for your understanding, I'll be with you shortly!

RayS

I don't accept payment for my help, but it would please me if you perform a kindness for your neighbor. You might also contact your local animal shelter. They can always use a bag of kibble or a few cans of pet food. Who knows... you might even find a life-long furry friend there.

#3 RayS

RayS

• 2,131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

Hello jpjjm, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please call me "Ray".

I will be helping you with your computer problem. If you would permit me to call you by your first name or a short nickname, please tell it to me.

• Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless specifically requested. Instead, please copy and paste the entire text of the logs into the body of your reply. Use separate consecutive posts if that's easier for you.
  • Please do not try to fix anything or run (or re-run) any tools without being advised to do so.
  • Always read my entire message before you begin to follow my instructions.
  • It may be helpful for you to print my instructions for easy reference.
  • Perform my instructions in the order as given.
  • Click More Reply Options and then Preview Post before you post a reply. Be sure your message addresses all the issues I raise.
  • Any fixes I provide are for this specific problem on this machine only.
  • Removing malware is hazardous. I will not knowingly advise actions that will damage your computer, but it is impossible to guarantee the safety of your system. It may even become necessary to re-format and re-install your operating system. Before we proceed, you should back up all your data -- preferably to a different computer or to off-line storage.

Preliminary Questions

• What happens when Firefox tries to open sites?
  • Do the sites open in new tabs?
  • If sites try to open and fail, what symptoms do you see? Provide verbatim copies of error messages, if any.
  • What other programs are you running when Firefox opens by itself?
  • Would Firefox open if you start your computer and do noting except allow it to run idling?

Follow Preparation Guide

Please follow the Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help by Lawrence Abrams. Since you have already posted a request for help, you can skip some of the steps in the guide, but you should follow closely steps :step1:  and :step6: .
Note one exception: Please do not attach the Addition.txt file. Instead, copy and paste it into the body of your reply.

Summary:

• Did you back up all your important files?
  • Please answer the preliminary questions.
  • Copy and paste the entire contents of FRST.txt and Addition.txt into the body of your message.

Before you post your reply, be sure you have addressed all three issues summarized above.

Thank you,

Ray

I don't accept payment for my help, but it would please me if you perform a kindness for your neighbor. You might also contact your local animal shelter. They can always use a bag of kibble or a few cans of pet food. Who knows... you might even find a life-long furry friend there.

#4 jpjjmm

jpjjmm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

I have a local guy helping with this now, but thank you anyway.

#5 jpjjmm

jpjjmm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

yes

#6 RayS

RayS

• 2,131 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

Hi jpjjmm,

Thank you for letting me know you are handling your PC issues locally. For future reference, you may find the following of interest:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/

If you need help with your PC in future, you are always welcome to start a new topic here at Bleeping Computer.

Best regards,

Ray

#7 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 36,210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users