Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP / Compaq DC7700 (2006) Windows 7 or 10 Upgrade Intel Graphics Card Crashg

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MateoBT

MateoBT

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

Hi all,

I have a plenty of DC7700 Dual Core Systems with 4gb of ram.  Some of these systems upgrade to Windows 7 and 10 without a hitch and run like champs.  Others, unfortunately, crash constantly due to an Intel Graphics card.  I've downloaded drivers from Intel's Website as well as HP's.  The Version Windows installs that works on the other systems will not work on many of them.  

Display-driver-stopped-responding-and-ha

Why would the same systems work sometimes with Windows 7 and 10 and other times every little action that is taken the screen resets and I am presented with that error?  Anyone else had any luck?  Ready to pitch these, just ashamed to throw computers that are perfectly good away.  I can throw XP on them and it works just fine.  

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

I suspect that the systems that won't use the Intel drivers have some sort of hardware problem (but this is a generalization).
It's also possible that they have a program that conflicts in some way with the Intel video driver (an incompatibility).

The error that you're seeing is actually a BSOD (but it doesn't show the BSOD).

It's a STOP 0x117 error (more info here:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000117

If the STOP 0x117 error occurs and fails to recover - then it generates the STOP 0x116 error and shows the BSOD.

Here are some suggestions for working with this error (it's a TDR error):  http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

The article focuses on AMD/nVidia drivers as I very rarely see this error on Intel cards.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MateoBT

MateoBT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

Hey John,

I think you may be right about the damaged hardware.  That is the only way I can explain some working and some not working.  What throws me is the fact that they seem to work up until Windows 7 or 10 is loaded.  I have no problems at all in Safe Mode.  I'm going to try and Flash the BIOS just for fun. 

I'll post back if I figure a solution.

Matt

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:18 AM

Video drivers for XP are less complicated than those for later versions of Windows, yet the newer video cards have many more features than the older one's

A theory that I have is that it's possible that the XP drivers don't make use of the broken hardware - therefore you won't see a problem with them.

But I don't have a way to test this, so for now it'll just remain a theory.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MateoBT

MateoBT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

I am beginning to think that you are most definitely correct.  I noticed that DC7700S seem to fail.  I've had some that upgraded fine and then a year later had the exact same issues.   DC7700P's seem to work fine regardless.  I think it is just an instance of a damaged integrated video card.

At this point it probably wouldn't be work getting an external video card that is compatible with Windows 10 as the unit is only worth about $50 at this point.

Thanks for the help, I think I'm just going to pitch these machines (responsibly recycling them) and move on.

All the best,

Matt

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

Before pitching them see how they run with linux :) Those computers should run great with Ubuntu or Mint. Somebody may get some use out of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users