Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Security Task Manager - Attention - Program wants to start automatically..."

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JBsPC

JBsPC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hello. I have kept the Neuber Software program "Security Task Manager" open and running on my computer since purchasing it about a month ago as an extra precaution to alert me of any unusual activity. I also have Webroot's "Secure Anywhere" antivirus program running at all times, and scan my computer a few times a week to check for malware. My system is Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, running on a Dell Precision T1600.

About 45 minutes ago, out of the blue while I was working on a Microsoft Word program, an alert popped up from Security Task Manager reading verbatim as follows:

Security Task Manager - Attention

Program "Uninstall 17.3.6799.0327" wants to start automatically when Windows starts. Do you want to allow this?

Program: Uninstall 17.3.6799.0327
      File: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /q /c /rmdir /s /q "C:\Users\Adam3\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\17.3.6799.0327"
      Registry key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

So far I haven't clicked "Yes," "No" or "Cancel." I've just left the alert up on my screen trying to figure out what triggered it and what to do with it.

My Google search hasn't yielded much. There does seem to be a report of a vaguely similar sort of thing being associated with a Trojan, but it's not exactly the same situation, just some vague similarities.

I'm a guy in my mid-50's who uses a computer daily, primarily for word processing and email in connection with my freelance work. But I'm no technician and have no experience with coding aside from a single semester of Pascal in college, well over 30 years ago. (Does anyone even know what Pascal is anymore? Never see or hear anyone refer to it--other programming languages that are Ancient Hieroglyphics to me, yes, but Pascal, never.)

I can rigidly follow directions written in everyday plain English of course, but have no understanding of the Command prompt jargon or much of anything else in the above alert. I simply recognize that it does contain a Command prompt instruction, but don't know what it's all about, nor any idea what program wants to run, or uninstall, on my next Windows startup or why.

I understand how to get into the registry to make changes, to the extent that might be required. But everything in the registry is just more Hieroglyphics.

Why does the alert refer to a "Program" with nothing but a number, and how do I figure out which software on my computer is associated with that number?

If some of these questions are irrelevant to resolving the issue, feel free to disregard and simply steer me toward what's relevant. Any light you could shed, I'd be grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rmullins08

rmullins08

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

From what I can see you don't have anything to worry about.  I believe your computer is just attempting to update to the latest version of Microsoft OneDrive which started rolling out on 6/13.

Version 17.3.6799.0327 (Released March 29, 2017) was the most recent version in production, being replaced by 17.3.6915.0607

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/New-OneDrive-sync-client-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-bf28-4e24b95e5fc0

#3 JBsPC

JBsPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

That was simple. Many thanks to you. Do I need to click "Solved" somewhere? I don't see such a button on this site. But let me know if I'm missing something. Again, appreciate your speedy response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users