Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(really) slow wireless

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JordanS81

JordanS81

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

I've posted this in the Malware section, but thought I would post here as well as I am really at a loss....

I have a Dell Inspiron with intel i7 and Windows 10. The past couple of weeks, my wireless has been running really slow. Normally running up to 6 GB/s, it is now running at 150 kb/s. The funny thing is that it also slows down every device connected to my wireless.

I don't do any gaming and I've run scans with Avira, Malwarebites, and Avast. Malwarebites founds a few things on it, which weren't critical, only suspicious, which I deleted, but still nothing. After I disconnect from my wireless and reconnect, it will work fine for about two minutes before going back to its old behavior. This leads me to believe that if it is a virus, it is something that is deep in there.

I was on the phone with Windstream for almost two hours with two different technicians, and have decided that it is not my wireless. I defraged it to see if that did anything, but no luck there either.

At this point, I am out of ideas and am almost to the point of reformatting it, but don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Any suggestions??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:55 AM

Could be interference from other nearby wireless access points and you may need to simply change the channel your router is using. I have an older version of inssider when it was free that I use to "see" whats going on wirelessly. Check these alternatives and see if you can see what channel you and others are using in your area. http://alternativeto.net/software/inssider/

#3 JordanS81

JordanS81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

Thanks, great suggestion and I should have posted that too, but I've checked the channel and I'm the only one on that channel in our neighborhood.

Oh, and I've also checked the channels and I'm the only one on that channel in the neighborhood.

Edited by JordanS81, 21 June 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

Do you have a cordless phone? Those can cause interference too, you may want to try changing the channels and see if it helps. Have you tried connecting your laptop to the router with a wire? Also what is your signal strength, weaker signal usually means slower wifi.

#5 JordanS81

JordanS81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

Thanks, no, no cordless phone. I've checked the wifi channels and I'm the only one on my channel in the neighborhood. I'm going to run my virus scans again, but this time in safe mode. If that still doesn't work, I might just try reformatting the computer.

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

Reformatting is way more work than changing channels or trying a wired connection to narrow things down. You said it slows every device connected to your wireless so that kind of rules out your laptop being the culprit.

#7 JordanS81

JordanS81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:05 AM

I was on the line with my internet provider for over an hour and a half with two technicians and we tried everything dealing with the wireless. If I have my laptop off, everything runs great, whether via wireless or hardwired. But as soon as I turn the wireless on on my computer, then every device runs slows. The computer is slow regardless of whether its hardwired in or via wireless. But if I hardwire or go wireless with an older computer I have, it runs great (but only if the wireless on my newer computer is off).

Basically the gist is that everything runs great until I turn the wireless on on my laptop, then it all goes to pot. And I've checked the bandwidth and it isn't pulling much at all.

Edited by JordanS81, 22 June 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#8 JordanS81

JordanS81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

I've got my Farbar scans. Check the post link below.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649783/virus-making-wireless-slow/#entry4266667

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users