Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus affecting wireless?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 JordanS81

JordanS81

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron with intel i7 and Windows 10. The past couple of weeks, my wireless has been running really slow. Normally running up to 6 GB/s, it is now running at 150 kb/s. The funny thing is that it also slows down every device connected to my wireless.

I don't do any gaming and I've run scans with Avira, Malwarebites, and Avast. Malwarebites founds a few things on it, which weren't critical, only suspicious, which I deleted, but still nothing. After I disconnect from my wireless and reconnect, it will work fine for about two minutes before going back to its old behavior. This leads me to believe that if it is a virus, it is something that is deep in there.

I was on the phone with Windstream for almost two hours with two different technicians, and have decided that it is not my wireless. I defraged it to see if that did anything, but no luck there either.

At this point, I am out of ideas and am almost to the point of reformatting it, but don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Any suggestions??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rmullins08

rmullins08

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

I think you mean 6 Mbps, not GB/s.

To start, have you tried connecting to your router with an ethernet cable to see if you are getting the same slow speeds?

Run the test at speedtest.net while on Wifi when you are next to your router.  Run it again connected via ethernet to see if there is a difference.

Have you checked to see if your drivers are up to date?

#3 JordanS81

JordanS81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

Yes, I've hardwired it as well and have also checked the wireless channels and I'm the only one on that channel in the neighborhood.

Have not checked my driver's though. But do you think that would affect my other devices?

Edited by JordanS81, 21 June 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#4 rmullins08

rmullins08

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

I missed the comment about all your devices being slow.  That is not normally a symptom of a single device having an issue, unless there is something running that is monopolizing all of your bandwidth.

What kind of router are you using?  If you can log in to it perhaps there is somewhere that you can see bandwidth utilization.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/  would be the next step if you think it is still the laptop.

#5 JordanS81

JordanS81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

Thanks. I've kind of ruled out it being the router or wireless. After having the Windstream guys check out the connections, I replaced the router thinking that might the issue, but still having the same problems. The thing that really gets me is that when my Dell wireless is on, then my other devices run slow. If the wireless is off, then they run fine.

Normally the only thing other than my computer hooked to the wireless is my phone, and I know that isn't pulling much bandwidth. I mainly use my computer for things like email and Internet browsing, so I've pretty much ruled the bandwidth thing out.

#6 rmullins08

rmullins08

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

Interesting.  Try running Farbar and pasting a copy of the log in here so we can see what might be running.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ - Instructions to run at #6

#7 JordanS81

JordanS81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

Thanks, I'm not near my computer right now, but can do that when I am.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

If you choose to follow the above instructions and post a FRST log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team...please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

It's possible that the channel you are using for wireless is being saturated by your neighbors.

Try downloading and running the free tool Wi-Fi Scanner from Lizard Systems...free registration and free to use.

https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/index.php

Using repeaters also degrades wireless.

Edited by jwoods301, 21 June 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#10 JordanS81

JordanS81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

Thanks. I've checked the wifi channels and I'm the only one on my channel in the neighborhood. I'm going to run my virus scans again, but this time in safe mode. If that still doesn't work, I might just try reformatting the computer.

#11 JordanS81

JordanS81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

I've got my Farbar scans. Check the post link below.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649783/virus-making-wireless-slow/#entry4266667

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Since you are now receiving help from the Malware Response Team, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your system is clean.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Good luck.
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users