Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer programs slow to start on boot

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ripmydesktop

ripmydesktop

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:16 AM

Specs: http://i.imgur.com/D5GD2MO.png (Samsung SSD = boot drive)

My computer boots from an SSD. Boot times have been fast and my startup programs, which are all on my boot SSD, have started immediately upon boot. However, a few days ago I installed a new version of Python (I had 2.7 already, and installed 3.5) as well as a few programs required for running Discord selfbots (Git, node and yarn). I installed Git, Node and Yarn first, and upon each of several reboots my system was completely fine.

Since installing Python 3.5, my computer would boot just as fast, but the startup programs now take about a minute before they start starting. For instance, the programs don't appear in the system tray until about a minute after Windows boots. They used to all start within 10 seconds of the system booting into Windows. Now they take at least 50 seconds before they start to start, and they each take longer to start, to the point where they are starting up to 2 seconds apart from each other.

This is made even stranger with the fact that any program on my SSD that I manually start starts immediately, before the startup programs start. For example, Chrome Portable. I cannot set it to start with Windows so I have to manually start it each time I boot into Windows. Starting that is fast as it always has been, despite all my startup programs taking forever to start.

I feel like they're all waiting for either my network adapter (I'm on a wired connection only) or my antivirus (I only use Microsoft Security Essentials) to turn on.

If you require more information from me, or clarification in order to further assist me, please let me know.

Screenshots of my SSD can be found in the following imgur links:

http://i.imgur.com/gsqYo1e.png

http://i.imgur.com/kXCCOPe.png

List of programs I have set to start with windows, which appear in the system tray, in no particular order:

Rainmeter

Teamviewer

nVidia GeForce Experience

ShareX

DS4Windows

WindowFusion

Moo0 System Monitor

HexChat

Steam

Dropbox

Transmission-qt

Microsoft Security Essentials

Discord

Edited by ripmydesktop, 21 June 2017 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

Not sure what WindowFusion is good for but as far as the rest...I would only have one of those in my Windows Startup...Microsoft Security Essentials.

You can clean the computer with CCleaner and use its Tools to Disable programs in Windows Startups. You can check Tasks, too. Some programs call home

every time you boot up to supposedly check for updates. If you Disable a program using CCleaner Tools and you want to Reenable it is easily reversible by using

the Tools.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Once cleaned...you can do this:

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

Wanted to add that most free programs include ads and adware these days. If you haven't scanned the computer using the programs below

then I suggest doing that.

Malwarebytes

AdwCleaner

Junkware Removal Tool (shut down your antivirus program before using JRT)

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET | ESET (Use the FREE ONLINE SCANNER)

If you need assistance in using those programs or interpreting what they found...then start a new topic in the

Am I infected? What do I do? Forum - BleepingComputer.com Forum. 

Mod Edit:  No need to start new topic, this one can be moved to that forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2017 - 08:11 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 ripmydesktop

ripmydesktop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

Not sure what WindowFusion is good for but as far as the rest...I would only have one of those in my Windows Startup...Microsoft Security Essentials.

You can clean the computer with CCleaner and use its Tools to Disable programs in Windows Startups. You can check Tasks, too. Some programs call home

every time you boot up to supposedly check for updates. If you Disable a program using CCleaner Tools and you want to Reenable it is easily reversible by using

the Tools.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Once cleaned...you can do this:

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

Thank you for your response. I would like to make clear that I want/need all of the programs listed in my OP to run at startup, especially DisplayFusion, as I cannot function on my multi monitor setup without it.

I'd also like to clarify that this only started happening after installing Python 3.5. My system was fine after having installed Yarn, Git, and Node. I have edited the OP to clarify this as well.

I do not wish to take your advice on disabling startup programs as I need every program to start on boot, and I have never experienced slowdown before on my boot SSD.

I have already removed temporary files in AppData\Local\Temp manually. I do not have CCleaner currently installed. I also am fully aware of adware and haven't a single one on my system as I am well versed in this sort of stuff.

I figure since you mentioned updates that it would be relevant to mention that I have disabled Windows Update because it had been eating RAM like nobody's business back when it was enabled. One of the processes related to the service would exceed 8 GB of memory usage after 24 hours of my system being on. I had no choice but to disable it to prevent this memory leak. I have been running my system for almost a year now, occasionally enabling it to install the recommended updates and then disabling it.

I am thus hoping that this error in Event Viewer is causing the slow start times: Microsoft Security Essentials cannot update with Windows Update disabled (http://i.imgur.com/F94cOYs.png) so I will enable it, update, then disable it and write back if it doesn't help.

Edited by ripmydesktop, 21 June 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

If some start via Windows Services, you might change them from Automatic, to Automatic (Delayed Start).

However, to have programs auto start when you might not use them right away, is a waste of resoures, IMO.

If you want a "quick start" option, pin the programs to the Start Menu, and you'll have one click access.

Up to you.

Edited by jwoods301, 21 June 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#6 ripmydesktop

ripmydesktop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

Thank you, but again, I was not having any issues at all until installing Python 3.5. Your solution is not the solution that I am looking for. I was getting by with these startup programs starting on boot for years with absolutely no slowdown. What you are suggesting I do will not fix the fact that they are taking a while to start. In fact, they are already starting delayed, which is my issue in the first place.

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

Then it appears you need to take a hard look at Python 3.5...it's almost 2 years old.

Uninstall it and try Python 3.6.1

https://www.python.org/

Good luck.

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#8 asraf

asraf

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

You can go with this option 

Press Win-r . In the "Open:" field, type msconfig and press Enter .

Click the Startup tab.

Uncheck the items you do not want to launch on startup. 

Else check with you reg edit or firewall!

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:38 PM

Click the Startup tab.

The OP wants all the programs to launch on startup.

The best way to find out which programs are causing what kind of delays is to run a boot trace.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177443-gathering-startup-shutdown-sleep-hibernate-reboot-trace.html

#10 ripmydesktop

ripmydesktop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

Click the Startup tab.

The best way to find out which programs are causing what kind of delays is to run a boot trace.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177443-gathering-startup-shutdown-sleep-hibernate-reboot-trace.html

Thanks, I see no improvement from updating MSE in my last post so I will give this a try.

As for Python 3.6.1, I don't think I can use this version, though I may be wrong. I will give that a try if the boot trace does not help me solve my problem.

#11 ripmydesktop

ripmydesktop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Click the Startup tab.

Just a follow up: the installer does not work on my system. I followed the guide you linked but it failed to download the files. Here is the error message (http://i.imgur.com/Rp7RYGE.png) and log (https://pastebin.com/LK00ajHn)

If you can let me know what I must do in order to get this to work I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by ripmydesktop, 21 June 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Supported Operating System

Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86), Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition , Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 3

• Platform architecture: Install this SDK on and/or create applications for platform chipsets X86, X64, and Itanium.
    • .NET Framework: Create applications that target .NET Framework versions 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.
    • Visual Studio: Use the resources in this SDK with Visual Studio versions 2005, 2008, and 2010, including Express editions (Not all features work with all versions of Visual Studio. For example, you cannot use the .NET 4 tools with Visual Studio 2008.)

Make sure you have the .NET Framework  version 4 installed on your system.

#13 fraserspur

fraserspur

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:22 PM

I experienced this problem,  Windows 7 x64 running on a fast SSD on a workstation.  After restarting the PC it would boot into windows and then take 3-5 minutes for all of the autostart programs to populate the taskbar with icons, during this time the desktop would be horribly slow and explorer would often hang until Windows settled down, very tedious. 

I fixed it but stress that I have nearly 40 years of PC administration experience and what I did is not something a novice should tackle.

First backup your system and make sure you have recovery options available.

Create a restore point.

Clean out temp files with CCleaner as above followed by Windows Disk Cleanup.  

Run Disk Clean up, type Disk Clean up into the Start button search box and run the command from there.   Select the Windows drive and when the Disk Clean up window displays select Clean up system files and click okay for the Windows disk.  When it completes scanning make sure the non zero space are checked, if Service Pack backup files is selected they will be deleted and you will not be able to reinstall them,  and click OK.  

Reboot the PC.

Create a second restore point, just to be sure.

Now this isn't for the novice, isn't normally what I would do in my PC maintenance routine, but was the quickest way to achieve my aims, it can be manually but is tedious.

Download the free version of Wise Registry Cleaner  extract the files to a folder and open the folder.

Run Wise Registry Cleaner and select fast scan.   When the program finishes scanning select Startup Programs and scan through the list selecting each item that when selected says 'File(Folder) does not exist' to ensure that only the entries with missing files are checked,  run 'Clean' only from the top right hand corner of this window. 

Restart the PC and thoroughly check that everything is working.  Once you are satisfied everything is okay delete the folder containing Wise Registry Cleaner and create another restore point.

As I said earlier, this is not for the novice and not something I would normally do,  the registry is best left to it's own devices and I wouldn't use a Registry Cleaner to do anything else.

Edited by fraserspur, 21 June 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#14 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:28 PM

I would not recommend using any registry cleaners.

The OP realizes that there are a lot of programs loading at startup, and latency began when Python 3.5 installed.

So it is the #1 suspect.

The OP wants all these programs to load, so updating Python 3.5 (which is almost 2 years old) with Python 3.6.1 is one place to start.

Doing a boot trace will show which of these programs is involved in the latency.

#15 ripmydesktop

ripmydesktop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Supported Operating System

Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86), Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition , Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 3

• Platform architecture: Install this SDK on and/or create applications for platform chipsets X86, X64, and Itanium.
    • .NET Framework: Create applications that target .NET Framework versions 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.
    • Visual Studio: Use the resources in this SDK with Visual Studio versions 2005, 2008, and 2010, including Express editions (Not all features work with all versions of Visual Studio. For example, you cannot use the .NET 4 tools with Visual Studio 2008.)

Make sure you have the .NET Framework  version 4 installed on your system.

I have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 installed.

I experienced this problem,  Windows 7 x64 running on a fast SSD on a workstation.  After restarting the PC it would boot into windows and then take 3-5 minutes for all of the autostart programs to populate the taskbar with icons, during this time the desktop would be horribly slow and explorer would often hang until Windows settled down, very tedious. 

I fixed it but stress that I have nearly 40 years of PC administration experience and what I did is not something a novice should tackle.

First backup your system and make sure you have recovery options available.

Create a restore point.

Clean out temp files with CCleaner as above followed by Windows Disk Cleanup.  

Run Disk Clean up, type Disk Clean up into the Start button search box and run the command from there.   Select the Windows drive and when the Disk Clean up window displays select Clean up system files and click okay for the Windows disk.  When it completes scanning make sure the non zero space are checked, if Service Pack backup files is selected they will be deleted and you will not be able to reinstall them,  and click OK.  

Reboot the PC.

Create a second restore point, just to be sure.

Now this isn't for the novice, isn't normally what I would do in my PC maintenance routine, but was the quickest way to achieve my aims, it can be manually but is tedious.

Download and install the free version of Wise Registry Cleaner

Run Wise Registry Cleaner and select fast scan.   When the program finishes scanning select Startup Programs and scan through the list selecting each item that when selected says 'File(Folder) does not exist' to ensure that only the entries with missing files are checked,  run 'Clean' only from the top right hand corner of this window. 

Restart the PC and thoroughly check that everything is working.  Once you are satisfied everything is okay then create another restore point.

As I said earlier, this is not for the novice and not something I would normally do,  the registry is best left to it's own devices and I wouldn't use a Registry Cleaner to do anything else.

Thank you very much for your insight. I would like to clarify that my startup programs do indeed take a long time to start, but everything else, such as windows explorer, and other programs that I manually start, are not any slower than usual while the startup programs have not yet started. I think maybe my issue is not as severe as what you had been dealing with?

Edited by ripmydesktop, 21 June 2017 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users