Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Resolution can go really high on safe mode but otherwise on normal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 silverdager509

silverdager509

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:50 AM

When i boot my computer in safe mode i can change my resolution on my monitor to 1620x1080 but then once i go back to normal mode I'm limited to 1366x768... i want to know why and what i can do to get that resolution my monitor is entirely capable of..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:10 AM

In safe mode...your monitor resolution should revert to basic, since the system graphics drivers are not loaded in safe mode (the default Windows drivers are used in safe mode and resolution is limited).  See http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/29403-drivers-services-load-safe-mode-windows.html .

To change the monitor resolution...you are calling upon the graphics drivers for the system...which are not loaded in safe mode.  It may appear that you have changed the resolution but, since the drivers are not loaded, that change will not be implemented.

Once you boot the system into Windows normally, your system graphics drivers kick in.  Then you can adjust your screen resolution within the parameters provided by your graphics card/chip and the drivers for same.

Louis

#3 silverdager509

silverdager509
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

Is there a way for me to mess with the drivers to get in to the default windows resolutions or is that not an option, because my graphics driver resolution settings don't exceed past 1366x768 as the same with my normal display settings

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2017 - 06:24 AM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

Normally drivers do not let you set a higher resolution than the monitor can display.  What is the make/model of the monitor?  And what graphics card are you using?  Have you installed display drivers?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 silverdager509

silverdager509
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:09 AM

I have an HP LE2201w monitor and a nvdia gerforce gt 720m also no i haven't installed any display drivers

now that i think about it i actually have another problem D: ... when i plugged my laptop in the monitor for the first time everything was great i had a nice sharp resolution, ever since i changed it everything just went all blurry and everything became a little chunky :/

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2017 - 06:24 AM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

#6 silverdager509

silverdager509
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:33 AM

Nvm guys with some tweaking around and sorting out the refresh rate i got what i wanted... that crisp resolution for anyone who has a similar problem that uses intel for their resolutions simply just change them by 

1. Opening run and looking up CustomModeApp

2. Once thats done add your resolution 

3. add a refresh rate of 59 or 60

4. select gtf 

5. Apply

6. Enjoy your nice resolution

Edited by silverdager509, 21 June 2017 - 06:33 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users