Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm in a dilemma of sorts.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

From what  I can see the problem is that the printer is configured as IPP protocol instead of USB. I suggest you to use the GUI to uninstall it and install it again as mentioned on the second option of the link I proposed you and do not mark it as shared. I would recommend not to use CUPS interface or CLI because maybe the GUI tool is overwritten the configuration file or something else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#62 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:37 AM

I would recommend not to use CUPS interface or CLI because maybe the GUI tool is overwritten the configuration file or something else.

Nah. Can't happen.

The 'GUI tool', as you refer to it, is nothing more or less than a user-friendly 'front-end' for the CUPS web interface, to make things as friendly and easy-to-use as possible for newbies. Any changes applied via the GUI are mirrored instantly in the main CUPS config files.....thus, there's no possibility of over-writing anything important.

The only reason Puppy (which I use) employs the web interface directly is simply to keep the OS as lightweight as possible; no point in having a GUI in addition to the web interface as well. Simply 'bookmark' the interface in the browser, and it's instantly accessible.....and most people usually have a browser open for something or another.

Every Linux distro employs the CUPS interface, but most of them 'hide' it as being confusing for beginners. It does, however, always work.....in the event of the GUI misbehaving. Which it occasionally does.

Mike.  :wink:

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#63 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

Guys, I have a more pressing problem than the printer now. I can't get on to the internet. Can't figure out the settings in Linux. The task bar at the bottom shows a broken connection. Left click: network is disabled. When I click on "enable network" nothing happens. When I right click on the "edit connections", it brings up a box but I don't know what settings I am supposed to use. It gives me a choice of Ethernet or Wireless. My wireless is showing ATT488 and I know it is connected because the adapter is flashing. I don't know where to go from there.

One day we could access the internet and the next day we couldn't. Out of the blue.

The more I deal with this, the madder I get. That Bill Gates has such a grip on the whole country infuriates me. If you don't like Windows, get something else. But nobody supports "something else". When I call ATT for help in Uverse, they say they can't help because it is not Windows. I don't have any recourse. I either have to just give up the ghost and see if I can find another computer my DH can use (Windows 7 excepted) or start to share useage on my one computer that still works. If you guys can't help me get back on line and fix his printer problem, I guess I will just have to drink the Windows KoolAid.

Can you tell I'm depressed?

#64 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 5,620 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Unfortunately some wifi hardware in some old computers does not work reliably with Linux. I have an old laptop that has the same problem, and what I do with it is use a cheap USB wifi dongle.

Looking back at the start of this topic, I see you had problems connecting to the internet before, which makes me wonder about the hardware in this computer.

Now that you have successfully been through the procedure of attaching a file to a post here, could you have another try at attaching the file that I mentioned here and here?

This information will tell us all about the hardware in the computer, which is what we really need to know.

Edited by Al1000, 01 August 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#65 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

To all the Linux Princes: Just want to thank you for your hard work in trying to help me get up and running on Linux. My DH (dear husband) has given up the idea of using Linux since we seem to continually have a problem we have to seek help with. So he decided he wanted me to hook up the old computer with Win 7 on it and said he would just deal with the frustrations of Win 7. No different, I guess than trying to deal with a Linux problem. So I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help and encouragement with the Linux Mint operating system.

God Bless all of you.

#66 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 5,620 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:26 AM

Many thanks Astrovel. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know.

Hope you have better luck with Windows. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users