Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm in a dilemma of sorts.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

Hallelujah!   It worked!!!

Did a new install of Mint and I got a lot more windows opening up in the install than I did before. However, the desktop is just some pixelated vertical dashes. Don't know what that's all about but I was able to get into the backgrounds and change the desktop photo which solved that problem. I just hope it will save my settings so when we shut down it will remain.

Other than that, everything is back up and running. The network settings apparently located the D-Link adapter and we got online and was able to set up the emails. My DH is dancing around as if no one's watching! Just kidding. He's wheelchair bound, but he's so happy and so am I.

I am so impressed by all of you dear Princes in shining armor that I am thinking about making the switch to Linux myself. I am so grateful to all of you who guided me through that maze of confusion. Also for being so patient with me. Getting that task bar on the bottom of the screen really helps alot. LOL

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Wonderful! Remember that here's the forum if you need ANY help.

To mention something: there might be programs that you use in Windows that does not exist in Linux but they have a substitute (sometimes dozens of) so you can ask for a replacement AND most software for Linux is available in what we call the REPOSITORIES where you tell the OS to download, uncompress and install it without having to do it by hand as in Windows (and without having to go to the download page).

Edited by malwaredpc, 17 July 2017 - 02:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 33.0886 S, 147.1494 E

• Members
  • 5,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

and for some light reading ....

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/16/core-linux-question-and-answers-for-beginners/

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#33 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

Hey Astrovel,

Super Duper. :graduate:

Welcome to the wonderful adventure of Linux you will become more comfortable with Linux the more you use it.

Make sure that you have the firewall enabled and that can be done by:

open the terminal then copy and paste this command sudo ufw enable then press enter and then enter your password and then press enter.

To check after this in terminal copy and paste sudo ufw status.

The Toolman :wink:

Edited by The-Toolman, 17 July 2017 - 03:52 PM.

antiX-17.b1_x64-full keerfa 29 June 2017, Dell Precision WorkStation 380, Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield  2.8 GHz Processor, 3.0 GB DDR2 Memory, NVIDIA NV44 [Quadro NVS 285] Graphics Card.

:idea: Save an Old Computer Install Linux.  :cool:

#34 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

Make sure to update your new Linux install.

In the task bar lower right hand corner is a shield with a check mark in it.

If there is a blue dot in the shield than that means there are updates that are needed to be installed.

antiX-17.b1_x64-full keerfa 29 June 2017, Dell Precision WorkStation 380, Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield  2.8 GHz Processor, 3.0 GB DDR2 Memory, NVIDIA NV44 [Quadro NVS 285] Graphics Card.

:idea: Save an Old Computer Install Linux.  :cool:

#35 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

@astrovel:-

Nice one, lass. Glad to hear it's working as it should.

As The-Toolman says (and I concur), updates do need to be the first thing on your list. They'll not only make things run more smoothly, but also more securely, too.

And thank you, too; for having faith in the Linux & Unix 'crew', and sticking with us. Told you we'd get you there eventually, didn't I?  :thumbup2:

At least you didn't give up when the going got a bit rough, unlike some folks do.

Enjoy.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 July 2017 - 05:57 PM.

You can only be certain of three things in this life; Birth...Death......and TAXES!!!

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB external USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter card, and external powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub (they ALL get used!)

Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

8YdCAzr.gif

#36 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 4,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted Yesterday, 08:55 AM

That's great to hear Astrovel. Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

As others have said, you know where we are if you need any more help or information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users