Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive keeps filling up. Tried everything.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mike1126

mike1126

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

For the last week, my C drive has been filling up to either around a couple hundred MB or completely full which results in my computer crashing out. My C drive is small, 32 GB, but the only thing I keep on it is the OS. I have two other drives where programs are installed and I really only use this computer for music creation. All temp files are on another harddrive so that's not it. I know that's a small drive for OS but it's how this comp was set up when I bought it and I've made it work for over a year now. I usually have about 4-5GB free but lately, it's a few MB to nothing.
The thing is, I haven't installed anything new recently and there seems to be something that's just eating up any empty space because I've even tried deleting a few things only to watch any space gained disappear on the next restart. here's everything I've tried so far:

I've turned off hibernation and system restore and deleted system restore points.

I've ran CC cleaner on everything and disk cleanup a million times.

I've deleted programs and files not in use and cleared up a little over a gig just to watch it dissappear.

I've compressed the disk to save space. This cleared up 4.70GB but after I restarted I was back in the red with barely a gig left on the C drive.

I've used WinDirStat. It tells me my largest folder is winSxS at 5.8GB but it freezes when I try to expand and look in the folder. I've tried cleaning out old updates with admin command prompt but nothing seemed to change. For some reason, the Windows Update Cleanup never shows up as an option when I click on system files in disk cleanup and during the loading screen will sometimes freeze when loading on Windows Update Cleaner. My largest file is pagefile.sys at 8GB

I've ran Malwarebytes a million times and it always comes back with nothing.

I'm out of ideas and unsure of what to do. My plan is to buy a larger drive and clone the C drive soon but I'm worried if this is malware or a system error that it'll just do the same thing on a larger drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:49 PM

Your pagefile is too large at 8 GB...how much memory is installed?

Run the built-in Disk Cleanup.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/8fef4121-711b-4be1-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Part of its job is to remove obsolete WinSXS data.

I would not advise turning off System Restore.

However, you can adjust how much disk space is allocated for restore points.

I would also run chkdsk /r from a Command prompt.

Edited by jwoods301, 20 June 2017 - 11:52 PM.

#3 mike1126

mike1126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

I have 16GB of ram.

I've ran the disk cleanup to no avail a million times. It barely even cleans out a megabyte anymore. Plus the problem with it freezing and never having the Windows Update Cleaner option.

I know. I tried adjusting the disk space for restore points first and it did nothing which led me to turn it off completely which also did nothing. Now I can't turn it back on I only have a few MB left on disk.

I tried running chkdsk /r and it kept giving me an error saying the drive was in use then after a few tries finally gave me the option to run it on next restart which I did. It ran but didn't seem to do anything. My drive is still full.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

Even at 16 GB of RAM, the page file is still too large.

Download and run the free tool WinDirStat to find areas with the most usage...

https://windirstat.net/

Download hosted on Bleeping Computer...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windirstat/

Edited by jwoods301, 23 June 2017 - 07:31 PM.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:58 PM

Mark Russinovich has done an excellent set of articles that you might find informative...

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2008/11/17/pushing-the-limits-of-windows-virtual-memory/

The section "How Big Should I Make the Paging File?" cuts to the chase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users