Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio laptop screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

My disabled sister-in-law, who is more or less confined to a wheelchair, is not a very good driver - at least in reverse. To date she has reversed an electric wheelchair over two smartphones, one dental bridge, one pair of glasses and now her laptop. This procedure has done none of these items any good at all !

Investigation suggests that the laptop only needs a screen since it boots and runs fine when connected to a TV and as it is only about two years old I think it is worth fitting a new screen. Unhappily it seems there are three different screens fitted to her model and unless you dismantle it you cannot get the screen part number off the back of the screen. I would really prefer not to have a part dismantled laptop lying around my office for a week or so, and equally I don't want to take it to pieces to find this number and then put it back together and repeat a week or so later when a new screen arrives.

Can anybody work out what screen is fitted from the following numbers off the casing ?

Sony Vaio model :-  SVF42c29m

Serial                  :-  54584288-0000664

Product name     :-  SVF1421S1EB

Service tag         :-  C10JKJAS  or  C10JKJA8

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

Just in case you don't find any luck in this topic, this is Sony's UK's electronics division's customer support's number: +44 (0) 2073652810 :)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

Another problem is Sony sold off their PC division almost 3 years ago to an investment firm. Getting parts may be problematic. Chris, were you able to source all three screens?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

Thanks John. I knew Sony themselves were out of the laptop business.There is at least one on-line company in the UK which has for certain two out of the three screens in stock - they even have a video on their web-site on how to take the screen out to get the part number.

If I have to I will take out the screen to get the number, but either way it's a real pain. She should have bought a Dell !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

It's possible you may be able to pull a number for the part here.

https://uk.eetgroup.com/Guides/Sony/Search?query=54584288-0000664&GuideUrlId=sony

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 June 2017 - 08:45 AM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

A useful - if expensive - link John and they list all three screens and all out of stock but at about 1 week's supply but no way to determine which is fitted.

I can see I am going to have to bite the bullet on this one and strip the screen out and try and find somewhere safe to leave the laptop for a week. At least that will give me the chance to check for any other physical damage. I took a straight edge over the lid and it is not bent so there is a fair chance that only the screen itself is damaged.

Unlike a laptop I scrapped for somebody a couple of months ago, after salvaging their data. I have no idea what had happened to it - it looked like it had fallen down a lift shaft - the lid was banana shaped and the right hand hinge assembly was smashed.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

""it looked like it had fallen down a lift shaft - the lid was banana shaped and the right hand hinge assembly was smashed."" ....LOL....I believe thats called 'temper' !!!!....... :hysterical:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

We have all faced the temptation to 'Throw the ..... thing out the window' but this was the first time I had seen one where it looked like this had happened. And the owners only live in a two story house !  It wouldn't do me much good to give into this temptation personally. Because of the somewhat unusual layout of our house my 'office' window is only about two feet above ground.

Never mind, I now have a hot date for Friday - with some screwdrivers and a Vaio !

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:29 AM

I have had a second date with this laptop - marriage is in the air !

The replacement screen arrived Monday and was promptly fitted and the laptop burst into life with the standard Win 8.1 screen of the swirling stripes visible across its full area and it was even the correct screen. £UK 53 well spent. Now all I have to do is find a use for it.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

If I have to I will take out the screen to get the number, ...

Exactly what I do and recommend as there are differing firmware and optional "hook-ups" (microphone, light-sensor, camera etc.). Not saying that these peripherals are directly connected to screen; just that one never knows 100% unless the old one is pulled and proper part replaced.

How many times have I waited on an LCD in hope it will be compatible? Maybe twice. Pull the screen and get it right the first time, bro. Peace

Edit: Glad it's running at speed and screen is compatible. Just hate doing things more than once.... lol

Edited by bludgard, 27 June 2017 - 04:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users