Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HP Envy laptop randomly freezes - Windows 10 - not BSOD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PiperCO

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

Hello, As instructed I've run Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App and PERFMON and attached Zip files.
I am not getting BSODs, the laptop simply freezes. I can't Ctrl-Alt-Del or anything to get it back and have to power off/on to restart. I've lost lots of work as a result and it even froze in the middle of a WebEx job interview! The freezes are random--during the webex session in Chrome, not doing anything at all (e.g. desktop), typing in a Word Doc--there seems to be no pattern.
I recently posted on 5/16/17 due to BSODs and network connectivity issues. I followed the instructions given (uninstall BestCrypt and reinstalled graphics driver, memory checks, etc.)
This computer is pretty much a disaster...hopefully you can help.
Thank you in advance!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

While you're waiting, you might run the following from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command prompt.

Type cmd.exe in the search box, and right click on the result, selecting Run as administrator.

Type sfc /SCANNOW and press Enter.

After it completes -

Type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

Edited by jwoods301, 20 June 2017 - 04:47 PM.

#3 PiperCO

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hi again,

I followed the steps suggested by jwoods301 and here are the results:

1. SFC
C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /SCANNOW
Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Y
This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.
Close everything and try again.
No go. I rebooted which took ~3 minutes so I'm not sure it ran. I'd like to say a 3 minute reboot was abnormal...but it's not.
Went in to Task Manager as soon as it would let me & disk was at 100%, CPU running about 20%, and memory in the 20s%
Largest resource usage appeared to be SugarSync, Antimalware - Windows Defender, Service Host Local system (which included a Windows Update service), Malwarebytes, Service Host Superfetch
Still high after 10 minutes
CPU 13, Memory 30, Disk 95 after 12 minutes
CPU & Disk finally dropped under 10% at 13 minutes although memory stayed around 30%

#4 jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

On my systems, with no errors, chkdsk /r can take over an hour to run before it boots into Windows.

Sometimes Fast Startup will cause the issue.

Do you have the Windows 10 installation media?

If not, make your own using the Media Creation Tool and Rufus -

If Fast Startup is not causing the issue, boot into Advanced Startup Options from your Windows 10 installation media.

Select the Command prompt, and run chkdsk /r from there.

Edited by jwoods301, 20 June 2017 - 05:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users