Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade advice please!!! I will do my best to make it an easy request..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 waltinbatonrouge

waltinbatonrouge

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

Good afternoon all..

i am ready to upgrade my PC again.... ..and am hoping you can offer some guidance 

Last time i did it was 6 years ago and all has been well since then. 

just last week video drops out on monitor intermittently,  swapped the monitor,  so suspecting the integrated graphics card on mobo...

I use the pc for email,  web surfing and...thats kinda it..

connected house network CAT5e plans to upgrade to Cat 6 just cuz i have the cable. 

I like Gigabyte, Corsair, AMD, and Western Digital, but am flexible ,  Have nice Antec Sonata case that id want to keep if possible. 

here are the specs on the old pc...
ATX form factor 
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 ver 1 (i noticed Gigabyte still sell this board now Ver6)
AMD Phenom II X4 960T
(2x4)8GB DDR3 667  (made Week 16/Year 2012)
Integrated ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics
24" HDMI Samsung monitor
2 WD 325GB caviar drives backing up to a 2TB WD Cloud
Windows 10 Pro x64

I'm ok with new MOBO combo and can install it myself...

used to be that there were several choices, now several hundred ..so I'm really kinda overwhelmed and thought I would ask you ladies and gentlemen for a bit  

oh, in exchange  I can offer advice on Stihl chainsaws,  Yamaha grizzly ATV's and am
currently repairing electrical wiring on a Honda 1976 CB750..

I'm a retired technical sales guy, former Marine, did Avionics on F4-J's during the Vietnam war and can use a Fluke meter..

thoughts please, and thanks very much in advance

waltinbatonrouge 

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2017 - 01:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:10 AM

I'd probably start my search around an AMD R5-1600 (6 core) or 1500X (4 core)/ B350 combo, which are both at pretty attractive price points...

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/04/11/amd_ryzen_5_1600_1400_cpu_review/

As this rig will need DDR4, choose a recommended/approved 16GB kit...(you could live with 2 ea 4 GB sticks if budget necessitates)

Corsair 650 watt PSUs are available for about $40-$50 on Amazon...

Alas, these builds do not include integrated GPUs, so you will need some sort of discrete card, but, almost any will do if not gaming.... (potentially a GTX1030 use case, if not gaming at all?)

You could reuse your internal drive(s) short term, or, jump to either a SATA or M.2 SSD,, the latter being quite snappy for boot times, but, a bit more expensive....

(Also a former avionics guy here, former USAF ECM/Electronic Warfare, worked recce birds' avionics for last 36 years, 20 years active duty)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

just last week video drops out on monitor intermittently,  swapped the monitor,  so suspecting the integrated graphics card on mobo...

I use the pc for email,  web surfing and...thats kinda it..

Hi. To be honest with those requirements only, if you wanted to keep it at minimal cost, and the PC was doing everything you needed, a new motherboard of the same type (as you mentioned) would be a reasonable low cost option.  You would likely need to re-activate the operating system, as it will see that unique hardware identifiers in the motherboard have changed, but as it's the same model etc. I can't see that being a problem.

If you did want to upgrade to something newer, my suggestion would be Intel Pentium G4560 based. Simply, I think the AMD Ryzen and separate GPU etc. is probably excessive for your stated uses. I would look at something like this as a starting point - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cjx4VY which includes a fast SSD and a HDD, which will give lightning fast start up, fast program opening etc, plus plenty of storage.  Windows 10 is basically required for these newer platforms, they don't officially work on any older version of Windows (unless going the Linux route of course).  Included 8 Gb, which should be ample for general purpose use for the foreseeable future, but changing for 16 Gb doesn't add too much to cost.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 waltinbatonrouge

waltinbatonrouge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

Hi gents! thanks for the thoughtful replies.... although MDD's post would give me a "faster machine" , 

Considering that the pc just goes to sleep at night, and check email and surfs during the day, reboot time and any "intensive  processing" is almost a non issue.

i'm thinkin' more along the more conservative approach that jonuk suggested.

The newer Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 ver 6 would bolt right in  it adds additional HDMI and 7.1 audio.....seems i could add an additional 8gb of DDR3 RAM and maybe an SSD for grims..

thanks again 

waltinbatonrouge

Edited by waltinbatonrouge, 21 June 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#5 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

The graphic controller is on the motherboard, am I correct? You do ok with this setup? Just replace the board and keep your CPU and memory.

hah, I just had a thought, get a video card and you're back in business.

Edited by MrSippi, 21 June 2017 - 04:07 PM.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#6 waltinbatonrouge

waltinbatonrouge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

Hi MrSippi,

adding a separate graphics card was a thought, but a new Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 with an integrated ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics  is about $70...and if its good for another 6 years..that works

you think the additional 8gb RAM would make any noticeable change in performance in windows 10 Pro x64...(seconds rather than nanoseconds?) 

The occasional MS Word document opens in half an eyeblink now. 

walt

Edited by waltinbatonrouge, 21 June 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#7 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

It depends on how much demands you make on your memory, I doubt you'll need more than 8 gig unless you're getting into something heavy like graphic work or photography.

If I were you I'd get the graphic card with at least 128 bit and 1 gig mem. I never liked onboard graphics because they are lacking. I have an i5-3570 with G2500 and the graphic blows. I pit in an HD6670 and it was a major improvement. The text was clearer and video more detailed. Later I put in an HD7770 for faster framework and put the HD6670 in my i3 system.

You can always pull the graphic card for your next motherboard. Once you see what I'm talking about you'll never use onboard graphics ever again.

Edited by MrSippi, 21 June 2017 - 04:50 PM.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#8 waltinbatonrouge

waltinbatonrouge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

Hmmm...thanks again Mr Sippi....I'm seeing that .AMD supplies the HD6670 chip to a number of oems...any better than others? Sapphire, Visiontec, Asus etc...

Guessing they maybe very, very similar, prices appear to be relatively close...

i'm seeing bunches of the cards as system pulls on ebay with warranties for $20- 40 new from newegg for $ 59 

thanks again 

#9 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

Mine's a Sapphire, both HD6670 and HD7770. I did a lot of research on PC parts I'm interested in and it helps a lot. You just have to know how to read the reviews and it takes practice to spot fakers and runs of bad batches (datewise). I did it also for other things like tools and ACs to name a few.

I'll give you a tip, Start with "The Best Of ..." on Google.  :bubbles:

Edited by MrSippi, 21 June 2017 - 09:16 PM.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users