Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can i put a ubuntu distro on an external hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sidhardtha

sidhardtha

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

i already own the hard drive. i don't want to buy a flash drive too. i just want to check it out, not permanently install it. i am new to linux. 

i am on windows 10. 

thanks in advance.  :-)

Edited by britechguy, 20 June 2017 - 04:33 PM.
Moved to Linux/Unix Forum

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

Yes you can do this but you will still need a external install media.

A flash drive or a thumb drive isnt that expensive anyhow, if interested in linux a thumb drive is perfect to try it with without installing it.

If a thumb drive is out of reach got any DVD's?

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 June 2017 - 05:36 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

As Madman as stated, it is possible!

I have Ubuntu running on an external SSD drive. Works pretty well. My internal space is limited so this was a good option on that particular laptop. A little disappointed in the speeds for a Thunderbolt 3 port though, but I digress. :)

The process for installing to an external is pretty much the same as installing on an internal. You just gotta boot via a USB drive or DVD with the Ubuntu ISO loaded on there. During the install you just select your external and install on there. Super simple.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

The process for installing to an external is pretty much the same as installing on an internal. You just gotta boot via a USB drive or DVD with the Ubuntu ISO loaded on there. During the install you just select your external and install on there. Super simple.

And, it's best to Disconnect your Main Internal Drive so you don't Install to it by accident and overwrite windows 10!

You're best off buying an inexpensive USB, I know you don't want to hear that but that is the way it is.  

A DVD just don't cut it for me anymore, things are way to slow.  If you get a small inexpensive USB you will be able to run from that just fine without Installing.  You will be creating a LinuxLiveUSB, so some use the Term "Install", but it is not a full install and only takes a few minutes to create.  ISO Download will take you a while depending on your download speeds, then again, the USB Creation will take about 7-8 minutes by experienced folks.

You could also do this with your External Drive I guess, but that seems like a waste of space, because it should be a dedicated drive to keep things simple, this is why the USB route is best IMO.  I've used the Lexar Twist drives with success.  There are a few drives that don't like to boot with Linux on them, I don't keep track of them all but can say some of them are Sandisk brand.  Most will boot with Linux IMO, and they don't need to be very big, 4GB will do, even smaller maybe.

The other option you have to try it out is a Virtual Machine inside of Windows 10.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 cooljay

cooljay

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

And, it's best to Disconnect your Main Internal Drive so you don't Install to it by accident and overwrite windows 10!

Thank you!! This is what I was referring to when I asked about an external drive. Nobody likes to mention that you can actually damage your main drive - everything is always easy-peasy. No, it's not. Especially for people like me who don't know what the hell they are doing.

Whenever somebody tells me "all you gotta do is"... I run.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:36 PM

Nobody likes to mention that you can actually damage your main drive - everything is always easy-peasy.

cooljay, nobody here wants to see anyone damage their Computer.  While removing the Drive is probably the first thing that should be mentioned in this case sometimes we forget.  I'm not perfect and nobody else is either.  Some of this stuff is Second Nature to Staff, and Members, and we tend to forget the Basics sometimes.  I can't tell you how many times I've posted to help someone and later thought Whoops, forgot one piece of important info.  Thanks for emphasizing that and next time I will put it in Red so people won't miss it also.

sidhardtha did not want to install anyhow, and may be able to run a LinuxLiveSession off that External, but I've never done that myself so will let others advise on that.   Shouldn't be all that hard but not something I do often enough to provide accurate instructions.

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:37 AM

i will get a 16 gb usb for $7.50.

thank you all for helping. 

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,602 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

You are welcome, plus its still good you got a USB thumb drive as they are great for creating restore media.

I actually have several of the things, 7 in fact.

the main 4 are my main install media drives, I have one for windows, two for linux and one has drivers for my hardware.

The others are more there just in case the others fail, I mean the things are so cheap so i am not bothered.

See if you can get more than one yourself so you can create a windows install thumb drive just in case you delete windows by mistake.

Also please back things up, dont want to nuke your files by mistake.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

Thank you!! This is what I was referring to when I asked about an external drive. Nobody likes to mention that you can actually damage your main drive - everything is always easy-peasy. No, it's not. Especially for people like me who don't know what the hell they are doing.

Cooljay, my statement was pretty basic. I didn't post any step by step instructions because at this time it isn't necessary. It really is a simple process, even for new users. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing and double check you are selecting the drive you want to install on you will be fine. Ubuntu even tells you the name of the drive, so if its a Sandisk stick it will have 'Sandisk' in the name. There really isn't much to screw up. Of course taking steps to not wipe your other drives is a very good and valid point made by pcpunk. I just hadn't thought of it then.

Sidhardtha, please let us know when you get the drive and if you need any help getting it loaded with Ubuntu.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#10 cooljay

cooljay

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

@pcpunk and everyone else - god no - I did not mean my comment to get off that way. I wasn't even thinking of this forum in particular, but all across the web, not only in forums, and not just as far as Linux goes but other matters too. It's just one of my pet peeves that the noobness of the reader is often not diagnosed as being complete, absolutely zero knowledge type of newbie-ness. Like, starting to learn how to cook and not knowing how to boil water kind of ignorance. This happens everywhere and always has. The great Julia Child (no Australians etc who may not know, she was a cooking phenomenon, brought French cuisine to Americans etc and had her own cooking show where she taught people how to, yeah, boil potatoes, among other things). She also knew nothing when she enrolled in cooking school and it took her forever to figure out, by accident, that meat or chicken if still wet from rinsing it first will not brown when you fry it. Nobody told the students that. So there you have it.

This particular thing about the hard drive - I am very protective of my main computer because I need it for work, and I will not partition or run anything from an external drive connected to it. Period. For precisely the reason that I cannot trust myself not to screw something up that for 99 percent of the population would be not problem at all. Believe me, for me it would be. So, I kind of patted myself on the back when I read somewhere that a kid had ruined his dad's laptop by erasing everything when he tried to run linux on an external drive that all over the internet people always say it's easy as pie and nothing can go wrong. People like me need to be super careful.

In no way did I mean to criticize anyone. I was just talking off the cuff, so to speak. I apologize if I offended anyone. :love4u:

#11 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

Yes.  I would disconnect all hard drives while installing on an external USB device.  In that way, accidents won't happen.  (Its okay offend people so much that the home owner in the family gets the message.) (snitches)

#12 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Cooljay, my statement was pretty basic. I didn't post any step by step instructions because at this time it isn't necessary. It really is a simple process, even for new users. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing and double check you are selecting the drive you want to install on you will be fine. Ubuntu even tells you the name of the drive, so if its a Sandisk stick it will have 'Sandisk' in the name. There really isn't much to screw up. Of course taking steps to not wipe your other drives is a very good and valid point made by pcpunk. I just hadn't thought of it then.

Sidhardtha, please let us know when you get the drive and if you need any help getting it loaded with Ubuntu.

ok.  thanks.   the drive costs around $20 with shipping. other brands cost $7.50.

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

@ sidhardtha:-

Just as an update, you may find this tutorial from Pyschocats useful for your purposes. Just substitute your external HDD for the USB, if that's what you want to do.

I used this myself a few times when I first started playing around with Linux, 3-4 years ago... As Deimos and the others have mentioned, it's a very easy process; just make sure you specify the correct drive, that's all.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 25 June 2017 - 06:42 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:16 PM

Installed Linux on a USB stick, a delectable delight.  If you can boot to your USB stick then you are set anywhere.  (maybe try to cheat in a computer lab with it) 

#15 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

thank you all for replying.   :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users