Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot with USB?!?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 poey27529

poey27529

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

I bought a new hard drive and i have no idea how to get an OS on it. I have windows 7 on my other hard drive and it stills works but i only have a USB thats 32GB to transfer data. Is there anyway to get the windows 7 off that hard drive onto my USB and onto my other hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

Hi,

Can you elaborate a little more about what you want to do with the new and old hard drive so we can give you more precise help.

Is this on a Desktop computer or Laptop?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

If you are planning to use the new hdd in the same computer as the old hdd...then you can clone the old hdd...if the new hdd is the same size or larger.

If you plan to use the new hdd on a different computer after cloning from old hdd....then that likely won't work and Microsoft would likely see it as an illegal install.

I think that is some of what SleepyDude is asking you to explain....

Edited by buddy215, 21 June 2017 - 05:56 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:53 PM

You might take a look at MiniTool's free Partition Wizard -

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

The MiniTool online tutorials are excellent...

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/about-partition-wizard.html

Edited by jwoods301, 20 June 2017 - 03:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users