Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can i have 2 modems?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hamudishadafny

Hamudishadafny

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

My parents live 40km away, we have 1 adsl modem at home connected. So my question is if i buy another modem and setup it in my house Using same pppoe username and password will it work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

No it would not work as well as that would be stealing.

#3 Hamudishadafny

Hamudishadafny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

No it would not work as well as that would be stealing.

Read before you reply, how thats stealing when im paying for my parents internet? Im only looking for help here not bullbleep, thanks

Edited by Hamudishadafny, 20 June 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

While it may work, you'd be better off paying for your own service as I expect you'll have issues if both modems are connected at the same time and the end result would probably be your ISP cancelling your parent's account for violation of their terms of service.  Absolute worst case is getting prosecuted for theft of services.

In short, not worth incurring the wrath of your ISP.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

Might want to learn to write:

" how thats stealing when im paying for my parents internet?"

You never said that. 

You said "my question is if i buy another modem and setup it in my house Using same pppoe username and password will it work?" which clearly says you want to use your parents logon.

Every modem is registered at the ISP end. How else do you get modem to modem communication? Even if you put a modem in you would have no service for the pppoe logon/account usage because your connection has no isp modem connection at the isp end.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 20 June 2017 - 03:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users