Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WilliamP

WilliamP

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

I purchased a key for Office 365. When I tried to install it I was told that it couldn't be installed and gave an error code. It said to call this number. So I called the number and of course I was speaking to a foreigner. He had me install a remote access program. He said that something had hacked into my network and he needed access to check the computer. The first thing he did was tell me that Superantispyware wasn't good and needed to go. At that point I told him to get out of my computer. I removed his remote access program. I do not think that I have a problem but how can I be sure?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

Just out of curiosity, from whom did you purchase the "key" for O365?

#3 WilliamP

WilliamP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

Amazon .com

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

I think it is obvious that the number you called was to a criminal's scam website.

That is why Allan asked from where you purchased 365. Need the exact web page of Amazon and the seller...not just Amazon...to verify suspicions.

Edited by buddy215, 20 June 2017 - 12:41 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 WilliamP

WilliamP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

I don't know other than Amazon.com. I have already gotten a return authorization from Amazon and it is on its way. On the order page it said Sold by Amazon .COM.LLC

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

Download and install or reinstall Office 365 or Office 2016 on a PC or Mac - Office 365

QUOTE A BIT:

Do you have a product key?

Not all versions of Office 365 or Office 2016 include a key, but if yours did, you need to redeem it before you can install Office. Go to office.com/setup and sign in with an existing Microsoft account or create a new one, then enter your product key. Follow the remaining prompts to finish linking your Microsoft account with this version of Office.

A bit late..but: 10+ things you should know before buying Office 365 - TechRepublic

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 WilliamP

WilliamP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

I was sent a Product Key. I went to Office.com/setup and followed the instructions putting in the Key code and then it said there was an error and gave an error code. It said to call a number which I did. I should have written things down but I didn't. I don't like anyone in my computer to begin with but when he started telling me I shouldn't have SAS on my computer. That was it. I may have wound up on a bogus web site but it sure looked real.

Edited by WilliamP, 20 June 2017 - 01:32 PM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

I don't know which site you went to. Use the link in my last post....office.com/setup......

Doing a search for office.com/setup gives multiple results....It looks to me it would be easy to choose the wrong one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users