Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD 3TB My Passport Drive, Still Confused

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

HP laptop 8.1 w/ USB 3 1T HD

I forgot to change the subject before I posted after I ruled out a WD ext HD. I guess the subject should be Still Confused or How To Make a Decision.

Sorry, my last post must have been too long winded and rambling. I'm reading my Muellers' on USB and 1394b and doing more google research.

I also need to purchase an ext portable HD for my sister's computer as well as one for me. I was looking at WD passports until I found this answer at WD's support site - "We can only guarantee drive capacity. We cannot guarantee a particular internal hard drive model, data interface, rotational speed, or cache size in the external hard drive enclosure."

So now I'm back to looking at LaCie's and Seagate's. A portable G-drives's review said it was only OK on speed, but I've never been able to translate tested speeds w/ how long I sit at the computer waiting for a backup to complete. Another review was in favor of G-drive.

I've always chosen 7200 rpm over 5400 rpm for both int HD and ext HD. Both my LaCies' and older WD's are 7200 rpm. My reading a long time ago said it mattered. I guess I'll try and stick w/ that spec. I'd also like it to have a power cord. Maybe if the port won't power the ext HD it might not transfer data either, but I had a supposedly USB2 powered rxt HD that did work w/ the power cord but not thru the USB cable provided or any cable I tried.

I've never had a drive over 500 GB. Has experience w/ larger drives shown any speed or reliability issues w/ increasing terrabytes in portable vs desktop? My sister will need at least a 1T ext HD and adding T's doesn't seem to increase the price much.

Does anyone have any reccs on a recent portable drive or a brand they've found reliable? We are just doing data backups. No video editing, no large movie files.

I am beginning to think that I need to get two portable drives for frequent backups and a large capacity desktop ext HD to backup all our old ext HD's and our recent bu's.

Edited by MaryBet82, 20 June 2017 - 09:43 AM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,787 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:54 AM

What I'm offering is strictly my personal, anecdotal experience.   It is not based upon any long research nor valid statistical analysis.

I have had far more problems with failures (three at the moment) with desktop-style external drives than I have with the portable ones.  All of the 1TB desktop external drives I've had which included a Fantom several years ago and two Seagates have failed long before I think they should have.  [All less than 5 years old, some less than 3 years old].

The same cannot be said of the USB powered portable drives I own or friends of mine have.   I've been using a 2TB Toshiba Canvio drive to back up four systems in my house for three or four years now, as well as using it for other purposes, and it's still running like a champ.  Friends of mine have the Western Digital equivalents that have "been through hell and back" given the way they handle them and are still in the "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" category.  I do not handle mine as though it were a delicate flower but I exercise a bit more caution about jostling and dropping than they do (but it's had a few falls from sofa to carpeted floor and several, "lets swing from the cord when I slide off the lap desk" and that's been when running).

Thus, my advice is to find a portable external hard drive in the capacity you need and go with that.  I am agnostic as far as brand recommendations other than to say that I have loved my Toshiba, but it seems that others are every bit as serviceable.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

Thanks britechguy,

I have spent all afternoon googling and reading reviews. Going to the brand name sites - WD, LaCie, etc was no help. I did learn that USBC and something called thunderbolt are replacing firewire.

I finally selected a Silicon Power 2TB Rugged Armor A80 IEC 529 IPX7 Shockproof / Waterproof 2.5-Inch USB 3.0 Military Grade Portable External Hard Drive from Amazon. Customer reviews said 2 cables were included. My sister's hands are shaky and she tends to drop things, we have a leaky roof and it's hurricane season. I don't know if its 5400 or 7200, but it seemed like a good choice for her. It has a 3 year warranty. I read the warranty, but whether it's a good warranty or a bad warranty I just hope I don't have to find out. The customer reviews were good and said transfer speeds were good.

Amazon itself does not include all the specs on its offered ext HDs or what's included like it used to. I used to buy all my computer stuff from Amazon since local stores only had standard stuff - like only usb and no 1394 - but Amazon isn't what it used to be.

I'm probably going to get another rugged LaCie for my mac and turn my reading toward figuring out cloud storage instead of a large ext HD to backup all our legal docs backed up on the various old ext HD's. It's better if the house burns down, anyway.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,787 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

As far as I'm concerned there's even little point in researching by brand name anymore.

See this wikipedia page on the history of disk drives, paying particular attention to the diagram at the top of the section entitled, Manufacturing history.  At the moment there are only really three actual major makers of hard disk drives.  The various name brands have been acquired by Toshiba, Western Digital, or Seagate over the years but these three are the only (major) manufacturers.  The major brand names have been maintained (or at least some of them have) but they're one of these three as far as who made the drive.

It appears that Silicon Power Computers & Communications, Inc., is a Chinese company.  One of many upstarts trying to break in to the industry.

Edited by britechguy, 20 June 2017 - 04:14 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

I guess it's just look for the features you want [if you can find them listed somewhere], pay what you want and cross your fingers.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,787 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

I guess it's just look for the features you want [if you can find them listed somewhere], pay what you want and cross your fingers.

Yep.   As an old and now departed friend of mine used to say, "Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances!"

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users