Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloaded PDF Always Damaged!?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 meeshu

meeshu

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:20 AM

Trying to download a pdf file from Intel website here. But despite using download managers or only using browsers, the downloaded file can't open because get message that it is "damaged and can't be repaired"!?

Also the downloaded pdf file size seems to vary from ~ 2 MB to ~ 3.3 MB !??

I've downloaded many pdf files previously from Intel website with little or no problem, but there seems to be a problem with this particular file.

Is anyone else able to download and view this file without any problem? If so, could you please upload this file somewhere where I could download it from.

Note that I'm on a dial-up connection (which doesn't help, but I've manged to download Intel files before), and I'm using either Internet Download Manager, or Internet Download Accelerator, or Get Right to download most files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:38 AM

File size is 7.4MB, I just successfully downloaded it twice to my desktop, using the download icon in the black on the displayed file (upper right).

I don't use download managers...you might try it without such.

Louis

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

Can also confirm that it's 7.4MB and when I click the link you supplied it downloads without a hitch.  It's 1294 pages long and is a document regarding the Intel Pentium processor.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the comments!

Unfortunately, I can neither (successfully) download this file directly via web browsers, nor can I download this file using download managers.

The alternative is to "open" the file via web browsers, and then download the file. Unfortunately I can't even "open" this file as the document fails to load within the browsers. I've tried several times so far, but still no luck!

I'm presuming the difficulties I'm having are due to the slow dial-up internet connection I'm on(?) Maybe the there's a time limit or time out for downloading this data? Because my internet connection is slow, the data transfer times out and consequently the file is incomplete and I can't even open part of the file to read, let alone download it?

As asked before, is it possible for someone to upload a copy of this file (temporarily) somewhere more "reliable" (meaning there is no time limit for downloading, and there is a resume option also for the uploaded file web site) for downloading?

Or are there some better download managers that do a better job than IDM, IDA, and GetRight, that might download this file?

Ideas??

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

http://www.download-time.com/

Louis

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:16 AM

My suggestion would be to either have a friend download it for you to a jump/thumb drive or SD card, or if you have a laptop take it with you when you're going to be near someplace that has public high-speed Wi-Fi and download it then.

I doubt you'll have much success (since you're not already) via dial-up.

Not having any details about your location and overall ability to access someone/someplace with faster internet access my suggestion may be useless and, if so, I'm sorry about that.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#7 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

I only have a desktop computer. I don't have a laptop, notebook, tablet nor anything else.

Typical download speed for my computer is already known, thanks. It is usually around 1 MB per 3 + 1/2 minutes.

It is still unknown whether Intel website downloads time out or not?

I don't know anyone locally who could download this file on my behalf.

As a last resort, I would have to use a local Internet Cafe (on broadband) to download the file and then copy it to a USB thumb drive. But this would, of course, require some cost which I'm trying to avoid if possible.

So no one here is prepared to download this file on my behalf and then upload it to some "free" online file sharing site from which I could then download this file?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Sure, I've got plenty of space on Google Drive, and since this is a publicly available file and I don't think this violates forum rules in regard to technical support I'm happy to place a copy there.

Try clicking here to download.

Please let me know whether it works, or not, as I'll delete the file as soon as I know that you've either been able to download it or are having the same issue you've been having.

#9 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:27 PM

Many thanks for that!

I've successfully downloaded the file from Google Drive! So you can delete that file from Google Drive if you wish.

Prior to downloading, I tried several times using different browsers to "open" the file from Intel website, but on every occasion the file failed to open with the message that the file was damaged and couldn't be opened!

It was observed that the data transfer always stopped after a few minutes or so, and did not resume. This suggests that there is a time limit on downloading data from Intel website. Also, according to the download managers (used at first, but not used on later download attempts), there is no download resume function either!

So with download time limits AND non-resuming of downloads from Intel website, it now seems impossible for slow internet connections to download large data! Not good at all!!  :nono:

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

Glad to hear that worked.

It's always a mystery to me when the same file will successfully download for me and others from one location, refuse to do so for others, but will then do so just fine if hosted elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users