Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Display Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sway

Sway

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:46 PM

Hi all,

I've got a problem with my laptop's display and I'd really appreciate some help. I formatted it and now I don't have the right drivers and I don't know how to fix it because every time I try to install the right drivers from the ATI website (and believe me when I say I've tried a fair few) it tells me setup cannot complete and that I should try to set up my display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

It's an Advent 7102,
mobile AMD sempron 3000+
and a 15.4" widescreen TFT (XGA 1280*800).

It's currently on 1024*768 and everything's stretched and slightly blurry. That's the only option I have aside from 800*600.

It says the graphics are by ATI radeon xpress 200m with PCI xpress graphics. I'm on XP pro (sp2).

So, does anyone know how I should set up my display adapter with a standard VGA driver? Google would suggest this is a common-ish problem but I can't find any advice given to those who already posted it that works for me.

I've also tried uninstalling "video controller (vga compatible)" in the device manager which has a yellow ? next to it, and then installing the drivers from ATI but it doesn't work.

I'm at my wits end and I need to take the laptop to University soon so like I said I would really appreciate any help! Is there any other info I've left out?

Thanks
Laura
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

Ok, what does it look like in devmgmt.msc, meaning is there a yellow blob on the sound thing. If so, uninstall(righthandclick)refresh and direct if prompted to have folder which has the driver.

Also, what happens if you try to install from safemode.
everyday is a gift

#3 Sway

Sway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

The sound thing? No, but after I formatted I had no sound and had to get the drivers off the net.

Here's my device manager if it helps.

Posted Image

I'll try it in safemode and then come back.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:17 PM

Did you get a driver cd with the computer when you bought it?
It should have all the device drivers on it.

Click on the video controller and update the driver.

If you can't get it from the cd:

Click on the video controller, VGA compatable and then update the driver using the driver in Windows or if you have internet access Windows Updates.

You can get the USB drivers from Windows Updates too.

Once you clear that up you can download the drivers for the other devices with the yellow question marks from the computer manufacturer's support site as well as the

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 September 2006 - 04:18 PM.

#5 Sway

Sway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

I tried it in safemode but that just gave me the same problem.

Enthusiast, you are a genius!! I had looked through my collection of CDs to see if I had the drivers on there first, but your post prompted me to look again and find a disk which I had previously assumed was for my old laptop. I tried it anyway and the ATI drivers were on there!!

It works! I no longer feel drunk when I look at my monitor!!

Thank you soooooo much for the replies and also to the people in the chat who tried to help me! :inlove:

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

You are very welcome.

We can't have youi getting a headache from your display.

Did it fix the other devices as well?

#7 Sway

Sway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

Yes, almost all of them and it put on all the drivers i'd trawled the web for too.

The only thing left with a yellow question mark is:
"Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller"

:thumbsup:

But there are 4 USB controllers at the bottom of device manager without a yellow question mark so, beats me.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:56 PM

USB is supported by Windows so you should be able to clear that up by directing the driver update to Windows Update.

If you can't do it that way, delete it, reboot, and let Windows find and reinstall it.

#9 Sway

Sway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

Are you sure I need to do that if my USB sockets work fine? I'm using 2 of them right now. I've fully updated from Windows Update but as I've finally got everything working again I'm too scared to disable it if I don't absolutely have to..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users