Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Richard ken

Richard ken

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:46 AM

Hi, I have been having this error message whenever I troubleshoot my wireless connection. Even with this error message, I am still able to use my internet. All I want is to fix this issue, so I don't get this error message anymore. I have tried everything that is stated in this link: http://howtoinstallwindows10.com/windows-could-not-automatically-detect-this-networks-proxy-settings/ and I have also tried these commands in the command prompt admin: netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log, and netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log. However, none of that worked. This started to happen when I switched out my Cisco router for a newer one. Other people in my household seem to have this too when they troubleshoot the problem.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 3520 with a Microsoft Windows 10 Home. My wireless router is Asus Wireless AC Dual Band Wifi Router RT-AC1750. I connect wireless and type of internet is cable. I am approximately 6 feet away from the router.

If you have any idea how to remedy this problem, please share them. I have already googled everything but all presented the same solutions. Thank you

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:01 AM

Do the following --

In an elevated (Run as administrator) Command prompt type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.

Reboot and see if the issue still exists. If so, open an elevated Command prompt again and type netsh int ipv4 reset and press Enter.

If the issue isn't fixed, enter ipconfig /all > network.txt in a Command prompt.

This will create a file called network.txt in C:\Users\<Your User Name>

Open it in Notepad and copy/paste the text in this thread.

Edited by jwoods301, 20 June 2017 - 01:04 AM.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

you have no proxy so that message is what windows gives when it has run out of options.

your text file shows you are connected and are able to contact google.com

this means you are connected to the wifi router and you have internet access [at least at the time of the txt file]

when and why exactly are you running the troubleshooter?

#4 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:43 AM

Do the following --

In an elevated (Run as administrator) Command prompt type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.

Reboot and see if the issue still exists. If so, open an elevated Command prompt again and type netsh int ipv4 reset and press Enter.

If the issue isn't fixed, enter ipconfig /all > network.txt in a Command prompt.

This will create a file called network.txt in C:\Users\<Your User Name>

Open it in Notepad and copy/paste the text in this thread.

Hi jwoods. I have tried both "netsh winsock reset" and "netsh int ipv4 reset." Also, the information you are asking for is already provided in the result.txt

you have no proxy so that message is what windows gives when it has run out of options.

your text file shows you are connected and are able to contact google.com

this means you are connected to the wifi router and you have internet access [at least at the time of the txt file]

when and why exactly are you running the troubleshooter?

Hi Wand3r3r, I usually run the troubleshooter because in the past my internet was not that great and when I ran it, the troubleshooter did find some issue and resolved it. Since I switch to a new router, I have been noticing that is was laggy and decided to run it and I would get the same error.

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

Hi jwoods. I have tried both "netsh winsock reset" and "netsh int ipv4 reset." Also, the information you are asking for is already provided in the result.txt

That was a snapshot in time.

I would like to see if after running those two commands.

Edited by jwoods301, 21 June 2017 - 12:47 AM.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

You could just have a crappy internet connection.  Please do the following and post the info

1. tracert yahoo.com via  cmd prompt

2. results of a speedtest.net bandwidth test

3. post the results of a xirrus wifi inspector test to see the lay of the wifi land in your area

Do you have more info on your wifi adapter?  Is it a, b, g, or n?  Clearly its not ac due to which you may want to get a ac adapter

Edited by Wand3r3r, 21 June 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#7 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Hi Jwoods301,

Attached is the results I got.

Hi Wand3r3r,

Attached is the results i got for tracert Yahoo.com and here is an image of the speedtest

6423685733.png

I also checked the device manger for my network adapter and it says Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) Driver Version 7.35.333.0

Thank you for helping me with my situation

Attached Files

#8 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

That was a snapshot in time.

I would like to see if after running those two commands.

You could just have a crappy internet connection.  Please do the following and post the info

1. tracert yahoo.com via  cmd prompt

2. results of a speedtest.net bandwidth test

3. post the results of a xirrus wifi inspector test to see the lay of the wifi land in your area

Do you have more info on your wifi adapter?  Is it a, b, g, or n?  Clearly its not ac due to which you may want to get a ac adapter

I posted everything you two requested. I also tried it with another computer and I get the same results: "Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy"

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:56 PM

Uncheck IPV6 in the network adapter, reboot, and see if the issue persists.

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:06 AM

I don't know of any Comcast package that is that low of bandwidth. 8 down is practically nothing going down to you.  You have a problem with your internet connection. Call Comcast and ask for a repair ticket based on your speedtest.   I get 83/6 from Comcast for residential.  Being that you are in the Bay Area I would expect a lot more

Edited by Wand3r3r, 03 July 2017 - 12:07 AM.

#11 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:19 AM

Uncheck IPV6 in the network adapter, reboot, and see if the issue persists.

Hi jwoods301, I unchecked the IPV6 in network adapter and reboot it but I still get the same message when I ran the troubleshoot.

I don't know of any Comcast package that is that low of bandwidth. 8 down is practically nothing going down to you.  You have a problem with your internet connection. Call Comcast and ask for a repair ticket based on your speedtest.   I get 83/6 from Comcast for residential.  Being that you are in the Bay Area I would expect a lot more

Alright, Thanks for all your help Wand3r3r!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users