Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone knows my ip and city!!!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 please_help_me

please_help_me

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:39 AM

I don't know how or why they would do this, by the way there were no threats known about, but somebody thought it would be funny to fake sponsor my YouTube channel at a live stream and then threaten to find my ip and to prove it named off my city on a different account after I had banned him on his first... can't go to bed, should I be worried?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:49 AM

If it is the public IP address issued by your ISP, you can easily find it, and the geographic location.

Here's an example..

https://ipleak.net/

Normal.

#3 please_help_me

please_help_me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:52 AM

I understand they are easy to find, I'm just afraid that he is going to do something to harm me by finding out my exact address😳 Btw thanks for replying even thought it's so early
So should I be worried at all about someone breaking in?

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:19 AM

I understand they are easy to find, I'm just afraid that he is going to do something to harm me by finding out my exact address Btw thanks for replying even thought it's so early
So should I be worried at all about someone breaking in?

For example, using ipleak's site, the geolocation on my public IP is in a city over 100 miles away from where I live.

Did you go to ipleak? Looking at the data, if you were a stranger, could you find where you lived?

Even if it were in the same city, there is simply not enough information for anyone to find your exact address from that.

#5 please_help_me

please_help_me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:25 AM

Thank you very very much I still can't sleep tho I've been up every night since it happened until 3-5 am I just really need one of my friends to come out and say that it was them, keep in mind I live in a small city and they nailed it... thanks for all of your help though!!!

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:32 AM

Thank you very very much I still can't sleep tho I've been up every night since it happened until 3-5 am I just really need one of my friends to come out and say that it was them, keep in mind I live in a small city and they nailed it... thanks for all of your help though!!!

If you are using a local ISP where all their servers are located in the same town as you are, that would be how they "nailed it".

The "smoke and mirrors" display from this person was meant to intimidate you...and it worked.

However, now that you know better, you can take your power back.

#7 please_help_me

please_help_me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:37 AM

Okay, I deleted my channel and everything associated so is there anyway for him to "intimidate" me and is there anyway for me to find out his ip? The only reason I would want to find his ip is to see how far from me he is to tell if it may be my friend or if it is so faraway that he\she wouldn't bother... yes he did get to me badly by intimidation😂
And how can I take my power back?*

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:45 AM

Okay, I deleted my channel and everything associated so is there anyway for him to "intimidate" me and is there anyway for me to find out his ip? The only reason I would want to find his ip is to see how far from me he is to tell if it may be my friend or if it is so faraway that he\she wouldn't bother... yes he did get to me badly by intimidation
And how can I take my power back?*

Actually, if a friend of mine did that, they wouldn't be my friend...know what I mean?

You might report the issue to Google...they would be able to find out his IP address and the email address he used on Google, from their logs.

However, they would not release that information to you.

Intimidation is a form of harassment, which is a crime. Contact your local law enforcement agency and discuss it with them.

You have knowledge of how the "trick" was done, so letting it go, and moving on would be a good next step.

Edited by jwoods301, 20 June 2017 - 01:48 AM.

#9 please_help_me

please_help_me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:49 AM

By now I'm probably being annoying but the thing I worry about is if his intents were to,well, kill or harm me(or worse) he probably wouldn't make it a matter to tell me he was doing so if he were smart but I've probably just listened to too many stories and I'm making a big deal about it by now... thanks for all the help

#10 please_help_me

please_help_me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:51 AM

And yes... if my friend did this to me... I don't even want to know how many hours of sleep he would have costed me

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:54 AM

By now I'm probably being annoying but the thing I worry about is if his intents were to,well, kill or harm me(or worse) he probably wouldn't make it a matter to tell me he was doing so if he were smart but I've probably just listened to too many stories and I'm making a big deal about it by now... thanks for all the help

Again, part of getting your power back is taking action.

You've already started by posting here, asking questions, deleting your channel.

Contact Google and your local law enforcement agency if it will ease your mind further.

Get some rest.

#12 please_help_me

please_help_me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:55 AM

K thank you very much gn

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:56 AM

K thank you very much gn

You're very welcome.

Good night.

#14 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you, OP. You can sleep tight.:)

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

After almost a month, I certainly hope so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users