Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

G To C

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bladelaine

Bladelaine

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

Hey dudes! I think what I've done is create a partition because I was invaded by a bad driver.
So now I'm working off a G:\ but only have 3 gig available.
How do I boot from the C:\ again? I think I've clean it up.
I'm very stupid so please explain in laymans terms
Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bladelaine

Bladelaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

:thumbsup:

Edited by Bladelaine, 10 September 2006 - 03:01 PM.

#3 Bladelaine

Bladelaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

Had to make a partion to boot. How do I switch from the new G:\ automatic boot to booting from the original C:\ and vice versa?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:19 PM

Where did you install Windows?

#5 Bladelaine

Bladelaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:28 PM

I reinstalled windows and am running in G:\ drive.
It works well but I only have 3 gig.
I want to switch back to c drive next time i boot up.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:50 PM

Is Windows installed in C drive as well? And is C and G on the same hard drive, just on different partitions?

How did you make the additional partition?

#7 Bladelaine

Bladelaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:42 PM

Yes they are both on the same hard drive. Everything shows up on "My computer" but the C drive's programs won't work (or maybe they will if I reset them up, but I don't have enough space to do that).

So yes they are just different partitions.

I installed windows on a partition that was listed when I put the disk in and was asked were to install windows.

I think I set up that partition some how by fixboot, when I could boot at all.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

You are going to need assistance from someone who is more competent at writing to the registry and boot.ini file than I am so you can delete the C partition, reclaim the space, and rename the G partition to C.

Hopefully one of our members who has such expertise will see this post and render assistance.

What you should have done was roll back the driver and repaired the original install of Windows, but hopefully one of our experts will help you remedy the problem.

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 September 2006 - 10:06 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:03 AM

This is very difficult to do - and it will result in your G: drive booting, but it'll just have the C: drive name put on it (nothing will actually change inside the system). This also may affect the performance of the system.

Could you explain your reasons for wanting this so that we can suggest an appropriate fix? Also, let us know what kind of drives that you have (SATA or IDE) - because Windows treats them a bit differently.

With IDE drives, Windows likes to make the first partition on the Master drive on the Primary channel the boot partition (and drive) (this doesn't necessarily mean it's the C: drive, it could be named the G: drive.) In trying to boot from a mix of SATA and IDE drives, Windows will try to boot from the IDE device before it goes to the SATA (and will install itself this way).

Now, if this is just a single drive system (and you've backed up all your data) the easiest fix would be to repartion the drive into just one partition, then format it and install Windows. That way you'd have a squeaky clean partition of maximum size to start with. And, since you've just reinstalled, you won't lose much in the way of settings, etc.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:13 AM

Maybe it's an opportune time to get a new, larger hard drive too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users