Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Assuming this is best classed as a Privacy Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

I have noticed that progressively over the past 12 months or so an ever increasing appearance of "voice over" deliveries during my use of the internet.

Always unwanted & characterised by being loud & nigh impossible to shut off; you simply can't tell which site is responsible.

The only defense I have found is to reduce the system speaker volume to zero, which takes a couple of clicks. Then of course you have to remember to restore the volume slider control to whatever is appropriate for your typical use, about 15% in my case.

Sometimes the same sort of intrusion is an unwanted video; but that at least can usually be dispatched by one of the AD blockers. Of course this is an unwelcome waste of time & should not be necessary.

So my question is: how can I set up to allow my PC to recognise this crap & either shut it down promptly or just prevent it?

BTW I have done several Google searches, the issue is "known about", but I can find no reasonably convenient method of prevention.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

Depends on your operating system and the browser you use...

Personally, I use Firefox on Windows almost exclusively, and use an add-on called uBlock Origin. I would describe it more like a "firewall for a browser" than an ad-blocker.

I set Shockwave Flash to Ask to Activate, so that Flash content doesn't kick off on it's own.

I don't use either IE or Chrome.

I don't experience video or sound interruptions.

Edited by jwoods301, 19 June 2017 - 08:27 PM.

#3 peterlonz

peterlonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:05 PM

I should have mentioned:

My OS is Windows 10

Browser of preference & the one usually used is Chrome.

I do have uBlockOrigin installed (default settings) but unfortunately I cannot get to grips with GUI which does not seem to present understandable options.

I have no way to tell if it's a complete failure (which I suspect) or if it works "sometimes".

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:17 PM

I should have mentioned:

My OS is Windows 10

Browser of preference & the one usually used is Chrome.

I do have uBlockOrigin installed (default settings) but unfortunately I cannot get to grips with GUI which does not seem to present understandable options.

I have no way to tell if it's a complete failure (which I suspect) or if it works "sometimes".

uBlock Origin has worked so well for me, I don't bother with the GUI 99% of the time, unless I want to look at the logger.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:39 AM

Resources to help prevent advertisements & block websites:Resources to help protect privacy:Tools To protect your browser, privacy, help prevent advertisements & block websites:Notes about Adblock Plus and NoScript:
Google, Amazon, Microsoft pay to get ads past Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is letting companies pay to let their ads through
Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus
Attention NoScript Users - Adblock Plus
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users