Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using 1,2,3 or 4 TB HDD as bootable device

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NicoForce

NicoForce

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Hello,

I have this machine in which I'm running Windows Server 2003. My question is, will this pc be able to boot from a 1tb+ hdd? (1,2,3 or 4 TB HDD)

The relevant specs are:

- Mobo: Intel DP43TF

- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz

- RAM: Kingston 2gb ddr2 333mhz 

I've been looking at the manufacturers info but I can't seem to find and/or understand if it is possible or if there is a compatibility issue.

Here's some links with info in the mobo:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/es/download/19740/Actualizaci-n-de-BIOS-NBG4310H-86A-?product=36461

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000023803.html

The mobo version is the 0069. I know it's not up to date but I wouldn't want to mess with it since I'm scared of bricking it.

PD: Additional question, is it possible to completely copy all the info on a drive (include the o.s.) into another new drive and make it work like nothing has changed?

I found this guide but I'd love some input first.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,554 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

PD: Additional question, is it possible to completely copy all the info on a drive (include the o.s.) into another new drive and make it work like nothing has changed?

As far as I know...copying files from one drive or partition to another will not ever work with Windows.  Cloning said drive/partition works...cloning results in an exact duplicate.. 

I suspect that your issues have more to do with UEFI than they do with hard drive/partition size.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/43f2ab3f-0071-455a-b9f8-1d939fa46656/cant-install-widnows-server-2012-standard-to-4tb-disk?forum=winserver8setup

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

You should not have an issue with a 1TB or 2TB hard drive. You have a legacy BIOS and this requires a hard drive formatted with the MBR partition scheme. Where you may have an issue is with a 3TB or 4TB drive. These driver require a GPT partition scheme as MBR would only detect 2TB. 

Sometimes there are issues with a GPT disk and a legacy BIOS. You can read about the issues in the below link. I would not recommend using a 3TB or 4TB hard drive on your motherboard. GPT can only boot from a UEFI computer for Windows 7 and above per Microsoft.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx#gpt_faq_server2003_boot

Can Windows XP x64 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Windows XP x64 Edition can use GPT disks for data only.

Can the 32-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

No. The 32-bit version will see only the Protective MBR. The EE partition will not be mounted or otherwise exposed to application software.

Can the 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Starting with Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, all versions of Windows Server can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on Itanium-based systems.

Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

Can Windows 2000, Windows NT 4, or Windows 95/98 read, write, and boot from GPT?

No. Again, legacy software will see only the Protective MBR.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 June 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#4 NicoForce

NicoForce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

As far as I know...copying files from one drive or partition to another will not ever work with Windows.  Cloning said drive/partition works...cloning results in an exact duplicate.. 

(...)

Louis

That's exactly what I was trying to get at (even though I didn't write it properly).

I want to clone one HDD into another one, an exact duplicate.

Does the O.S. work after being duplicated? I mean, the new one that has just been created.

You should not have an issue with a 1TB or 2TB hard drive. You have a legacy BIOS and this requires a hard drive formatted with the MBR partition scheme. Where you may have an issue is with a 3TB or 4TB drive. These driver require a GPT partition scheme as MBR would only detect 2TB. 

Sometimes there are issues with a GPT disk and a legacy BIOS. You can read about the issues in the below link. I would not recommend using a 3TB or 4TB hard drive on your motherboard. GPT can only boot from a UEFI computer for Windows 7 and above per Microsoft.

(...)

Can the 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Starting with Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, all versions of Windows Server can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on Itanium-based systems.

(...)

I was about to buy a 3TB HDD. It seems I was about to make a horrible mistake since I was trying to use this new HDD as a bootable device.

I guess I would just be missing the how to clone a disk into another.

Thanks for the enlightment, any input in the clonning step?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,231 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

A cloned drive will work as the original. The main thing to watch out for is this. Do not boot the computer with both the original and cloned drive attached after cloning. After cloning shut down the computer and detach the original drive.

Note: If you clone a small drive to a large drive you will need to expand the partitions on the newly cloned drive. If you have a 500MB drive cloned to a 1TB drive the 1TB drive will look like a 500MB drive with 500MB of unallocated space. You can easily expand partitions using Partition Wizard.

#6 NicoForce

NicoForce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Last question, when cloning drives, if the O.S. is running in one of the drives, it clones? Or do I have to use a third drive in order to clone the first drive into a second one?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,231 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

When you clone a drive with a bootable disk the drive with the OS will be cloned to the new drive and include the OS. You only need two disks as the clone is done from the bootable disk/USB.  Is this what you are asking?

#8 NicoForce

NicoForce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

When you clone a drive with a bootable disk the drive with the OS will be cloned to the new drive and include the OS. You only need two disks as the clone is done from the bootable disk/USB.  Is this what you are asking?

Yes. I believed since the O.S. was being used on the disk that I wanted to clone, it wouldn't let me because... uh... just a guess.

But I guess I was wrong.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,231 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

The OS is not being used because you will be using a boot disk that works outside of your OS on the hard drive.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,554 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

...and even if you don't use a bootable disk and rely on an installed program...the program (such as Macrium Reflect, EaseUS, etc.) is designed to not actually begin the cloning process until a system reeboot has been accomplished.  Upon reboot, the cloning program goes into a mode where Windows is not being used to make the clone.  Upon completion of the clone, the system will reboot into Windows.

Louis

#11 NicoForce

NicoForce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

The OS is not being used because you will be using a boot disk that works outside of your OS on the hard drive.

...and even if you don't use a bootable disk and rely on an installed program...the program (such as Macrium Reflect, EaseUS, etc.) is designed to not actually begin the cloning process until a system reeboot has been accomplished.  Upon reboot, the cloning program goes into a mode where Windows is not being used to make the clone.  Upon completion of the clone, the system will reboot into Windows.

Louis

Thanks for your answers. I understand it now. Hope it works, gotta buy the hdd first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users