Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reset PC vs Fresh Start vs Installing downloaded recovery from USB

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigstu22

bigstu22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

Hi all. I am having a real PITA with my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. The wifi has stopped working and it can't even detect the Marvel Wifi network adapter. After much research, I tried doing a complete 'Reset PC', electing to lose all files in the hope that this would be a completely clean install and that the adapter might be picked up and then drivers installed. 

Well, it didn't work. I subsequently thought that perhaps downloading the software specific to this unit from Microsoft might be a 'cleaner' install and that would perhaps bring back my wifi. Before I waste my time, however, would this in fact be any different to using 'Reset PC' or (if it's any different) 'Fresh Start' as found under Windows Defender Security Centre? Thanks in advance.

Edited by bigstu22, 19 June 2017 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 28,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

If you did a Reset you should have a fresh installation of Windows.  For this reason I wouldn't think that the problem is with the operating system.

Have you tried downloading a new wifi driver from the manufacturer's website to see if it corrects the problem?

If you are using a router, have you tried resetting it?

Have you tried connecting via a Ethernet cable to see if it works?

Edited by dc3, 19 June 2017 - 02:18 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bigstu22

bigstu22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply dc3. Thanks also for the answer to the Windows installation question.The problem I have is that the network adapter isn't even showing up in device manager. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't any point in downloading drivers if there isn't a device to load them onto? I would imagine that also negates the need for playing about with the router?

Regarding the ethernet cable, I'd need to purchase an adapter as the Surface Pro 4 doesn't have an ethernet port :-(

I did a cursory Google of the whole wifi problem on SP4s and whilst there are similar issues, I couldn't find anyone reporting that the wifi device just wasn't showing up. I finfd it hard to believe it's just 'broken'. Also, I notice that a lot of people had related issues after updates-hence the reason for chancing it with a reset.

Edited by bigstu22, 19 June 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 28,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

There is no wifi device in this computer, only bluetooth 4.0.   Bluetooth, as far as I know, can't be connected to a wifi router.  What you could consider is using a wifi adapter such as this one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bigstu22

bigstu22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

Respectfully, it does (or did) have a wifi device-I've been using it with a wifi router successfully for a year until this happened. Funnily enough, I am using a dongle very similar to the one you suggested in it's absence. However, I'm not a happy camper having even this small peripheral sticking out the side of my supposedly sleek Surface Pro 4!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users