Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! External hard drive not accessible after power was cut to laptop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 viking22

viking22

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

Hard drive is a Transcend 1 TB StoreJet M3 Military Drop tested UBS 3.0 External Hard Drive. (TS1TSJ25M3)

I was transferring over a Photoshop PSD file and the drive was very slow with uploading.

While it was uploading, power was cut to the laptop.

The next time I plugged it in, it came up as "Local Disk E" instead of what it usually says as "Transcend Storejet". 

Double clicking on the drive will slow down my computer immensely with a message that also says "E:/ Cannot open volume for direct access". If I try to x out the non-responding file window, my entire computer goes black and I can't access the desktop task bar.

I tried using the Command prompt with chkdsk, but that cannot access it either.

I have only between 17-20 GBs of data on it.

Can anyone help me get it working?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

With the drive attached open Disk Mangement. Is the drive listed as RAW or not initialized?

Edit: Is the data on the drive backed up elsewhere?

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 June 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#3 viking22

viking22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Only several of the files are backed up, nowhere near all... I know, stupid mistake...

The drive does not even pop up in Disk Management, even after hitting refresh the window freezes and only functions again after I unplug the drive (it does show up as local disk though under My Computer). Same goes with my internet browser- web pages won't even load while the drive is plugged in, but they load as soon as I unplug it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

What is the OS of the computer you are attaching the drive to? If Windows 8 or 10 was the computer pre-installed with the OS? The reason I ask is because this will have a bearing on the instructions I give regarding trying to recover your data.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 June 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#5 viking22

viking22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

Windows 10- preinstalled. I am working on a Surface Pro 3

Edited by viking22, 20 June 2017 - 10:51 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

Download the fatdog64 iso here.

Fatdog64-710.iso

Burn the iso file to a CD/DVD by right clicking and selecting burn disk image. If you have a spare USB flash drive you can use Rufus to create the bootable flash drive.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Boot the USB flash drive or CD/DVD. Attach the external drive. A USB icon should appear next to your hard drive partitions. These are labeled sda1...sda2...  The external should be labeled sdb unless you have more than one hard drive. Click once on the USB icon. If the drive can mount a File Manager Window will open showing the files on the external drive. Post back if you see your files and I will give instructions on copying them to your internal drive. If a File Manager does not open which means the drive cannot mount I will post another iso to download that has a tool that possibly will recover your files.

#7 viking22

viking22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

So I tried to do the whole process you advised, but of course Surface Pro 3 is annoying.. your method didn't work even after I tried changing the BIOS settings to boot USB -> SSD. It just boots my computer to the regular Windows screen, no Linux desktop visible. But I did some research and someone on Youtube posted this comment:

"Please ensure your bootable device is created with a GPT an UEFI support or the Surface Pro 3 will not boot it regardless of buttons held down or UEFI CMOS options selected. Rufus has options to select GPT with UEFI support for ISOs, though your ISO may not support EFI boot."

I will go ahead and reconfigure Rufus to set the USB as "GPT partition scheme for UEFI", unless you advise otherwise. Please let me know :)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

I don't believe it will make a difference as far as Rufus and fatdog go as you are booting from a USB stick and not the hard drive but try GPT and see if it boots. Can you access the UEFI settings and disable SecureBoot? There may also be a setting called QuickBoot or Fastboot. That should be disabled. Is there a Legacy boot setting in UEFI?

See configure your Surface to boot from USB

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/storage-files-and-folders/boot-surface-from-usb-recovery-device?os=windows-10&=undefined

#9 viking22

viking22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

Okay didn't realize I had to disable SecureBoot. When I disable it and boot up, I am taken to a screen that is like this, but gives me a different key and my own drive label listed. Continue on with that key? (sorry screenshot taken from someone else, I didn't put the arrow there).

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track, don't want to screw anything up.

17627d1362339471-bitlocker-recovery-unlo

Edited by viking22, 20 June 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

I would stop and enable SecureBoot again. Go no further. For some reason Bitlocker was enabled on the surface. I would go no further. fatdog is supposed to boot with secureboot enabled but I was thinking it was possible Secureboot was preventing the boot. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 June 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#11 viking22

viking22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

Okay re-enabled it. I didn't see any options for fastboot, quickboot, etc. I think Surface Pro is too annoying, I could try the boot process again when I am home at my desktop which is also Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 8. Probably won't be until tomorrow though.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, don't use the Surface, wait till you get home. There is another software that may have a better chance of booting but you do need to disable SecureBoot. It's UBCD. Click on the drive icon to download the iso file. At the menu screen, if you can get UBCD to boot, select Parted Magic. 

Follow this guide to copy your data.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

You may have a boot menu available on your desktop. Tap the boot menu key and select the USB key. Don't download UBCD if fatdog boots unless fatdog cannot open the external drive when you click on it. There are additional tools on the UBCD that may recovery your data.

#13 Girish_G

Girish_G

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:43 AM

Hi viking22,

Physical damage, logical damage, accidental deletion or formatting while transferring data from one device to another are a few of the most common reasons for data loss from external drives. Let us have a look at the possible data loss scenarios from Transcend hard drives.
  • Logical or physical damage in hard drives
  • Improper ejection of the hard drives from USB ports
  • Attack by malicious codes such as the virus, malware, ransomware, etc.
  • Improper or sudden system shutdown
  • Loss or corrupt critical File System Structures
  • Lost or damaged Partition Structures

Above mentioned scenarios may cause the data loss in your external/internal hard disk. Well, the only clause is that data should not be overwritten after the occurrence of data loss. Therefore, you should take some measures to avoid a situation wherein recovery becomes impossible.

Follow the actions that have been enlisted below:

• Stop executing any operation on it
  • Leave it untouched
  • Avoid writing data on to it
  • Evade opening or analyzing it
From the below points you can recover lost data from Transcend hard drives:
  • Restore data from backup device
You can restore your data from your backup drive
  • Recover lost data from external hard drive recovery software
You need to have a reputed recovery software that ensures complete recovery with 100% efficiency.
  • Recover lost data by external data recovery services
Data recovery services is also a method that can be used to recover lost data from Transcend hard drives.

Thanks 

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/recover-lost-data-transcend-hard-drive/

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users