Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with latest AMD drivers and Win10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 burnITdown

burnITdown

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

Hello,

I've been banging my head against a proverbial brick wall for a few months now. I have an issue with the AMD drivers and Windows 10.

My PC is built mostly around my sim-racing hobby. I have a Sapphire R9 295x2 connected to 3 BenQ XL2730Z with StarTech MDP2DPMM10 cables. Around the time of the Creators update (I'm running Win10 Pro x64) I  could no longer upgrade my AMD drivers. 17.2.1 is the latest I can load and configure Eyefinity.

I've tried every WHQL and non-WHQL driver released since then. Most will load ok, but the problem comes when I try to enable eyefinity. The monitors will randomly go black and come back, show some garbled mess, then Windows reboots...no BSOD ever, just a reboot. At this point Windows will no longer boot, not even into safe mode. I have to reinstall or restore from backup. Very frustrating. I've used DDU between all driver upgrades (or downgrades). I've tried disabling crossfire, no difference. 

I've installed the video card in another PC and loaded Windows 10 and experienced the same issues.

I've disconnected all of my HDDs and installed a spare and loaded Windows 7 Pro x64 in my primary PC and the latest drivers work fine. So this leads me to some strange issue with Windows 10, my card, and driver combination.

I had a 2 month long back and forth with AMD support only for them to say to contact Microsoft. Sapphire won't warranty the card past 5/5/2017 which is 2 years past the purchase date, even though the problem started before then. 

How should I proceed in troubleshooting this problem?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 23,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:02 AM

I'm not real well-versed with video problems.  You might get more expert responses from the Internal Hardware or Gaming forums.

But, as I'm a glutton for punishment, Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

I am having severe eye problems and may not be able to post back/respond.
I have just started to recover from these problems, so my eyesight is still a bit compromised.
If help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 burnITdown

burnITdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

Thanks, I'll check those out.

I had already looked at the event logs around the time of the unexpected (well now expected) reboots. One time I was able to get a code that led me to this video-tdr-error . I was able to produce that by installing the AMD driver with a single monitor attached, shutting down, connecting the other monitors, then booting. It would get to the login prompt, flash, and then blue screen.

Really, all I need would be able to enable some verbose logging to the AMD driver or the install and config process. What is logged of the install is rather vague. Something is breaking when Eyefinity is enabled. I don't know if there's some additional logging that can be enabled on the Windows side to aid in this. Debugging things in Windows is not one of my skills. I'm used to the *nix world where everything is more "textual".

I've been around with AMD and MS support, only getting the typical wipe and reinstall type suggestions...nothing to really pinpoint the problem.

I'll repost in the internal hardware forum soon.

Thanks.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 23,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:30 AM

Video TDR errors are really very simple.

They're either hardware or software.

Here's the steps I suggest:

1)  follow the suggestions here:  http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

2)  uninstall the AMD drivers, then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller - free from here:  http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html ) to remove any remnants, then download and install the latest compatible version from AMD

3)  then try another video card (one from a system without any problems).  If you don't have one, then I'd suggest purchasing one from a shop that will let you return it if it's not needed (for your money back).

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

I am having severe eye problems and may not be able to post back/respond.
I have just started to recover from these problems, so my eyesight is still a bit compromised.
If help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users