Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Default Monitor And Resolution

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chattanooga

chattanooga

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:03 PM

My computer crashed and I had to reinstall a new copy of Xp pro, I am trying to get all of my same settings back. My monitor is set to 640 x 480 and medium 16 bit. I have a flat screen monitor (dell E153FP). I have downloaded the drivers for this monitor, however when i go to control panel>display>settings>advance> and click monitor, it says default monitor and the properites button is disabled. How do i get that properties button abled so i can install the drivers for my monitor???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

hi, chattanooga,

right click 'my computer' and properties, click the hardware tab and then open device manager, your monitor maybe show in there with a yellow triangle. right click on it and again select properties, if the device is showing disabled click the down arrow and enable it, then then click the driver tab to install drivers

hope this helps,

good luck.

#3 chattanooga

chattanooga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

ok i went to my computer and did the properties, however there are no yellow triangles, only yellow circles inside the other devices tab. Is there another name for the monitor, I did not see any moniter tab. thanks

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

Video adapter - there shouldn't be any yellow marks at all in the device manager.

Update the drivers on any devices that have them.

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:30 AM

Monitors are usually plug and play, so it's not the monitor you should be looking at, as enthusiast said the video adapter, you need to look up drivers for the video adapters on your computer.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:27 AM

It sounds like you'll need to download the motherboard/chipset drivers for your system, along with video, audio, network and any other drivers for your hardware devices.

Windows uses "generic" drivers for the devices when you first install it - but it needs the correct drivers to function effectively.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

The correct drivers may have come on a cd that came with your motherboard or a driver cd from the computer manufacturer.

#8 chattanooga

chattanooga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:29 PM

Thanks to you all. I updated the drivers through the properties on "my computer".....haha now my next issue. When I ordered my dell, it came with no speakers. Like I mentioned earlier I had to erase my computer and start over. Now I have no sound device installed...i have some altec lansing series100 speakers. I searched the net and found no drivers, also tried to update drivers, but no success. I dont remember if my speakers came with a installation cd or not. Worst case senerio i have to go buy some cheap speakers, unless you guys can help me out again.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:02 AM

Do you have something like realtec ac'97 audio in there?
What if anything is in there for the audio adapter in "sound, video and game controllers?

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 September 2006 - 12:07 AM.

#10 chattanooga

chattanooga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:06 PM

here is what I have

Sound, Video, and Game Controllers
>Audio Codecs
>Legacy Audio Drivers
>Legacy Audio Drivers
>Legacy Video Capture Devices
>Media Control Devices
>Video Codecs

none of them are highlighted with a yellow notice

Under my other devices (a yellow question mark)
>Multimedia Audio Controller
>PCI Simple Communications Controller
>Ethernet Controller

all of them have yellow notices. I have ran update drivers, but they never find any info

I do not see anything dealing with realtec ac'97

#11 chattanooga

chattanooga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:46 PM

ok i found a cd with drivers on it that came with my dell
I installed SoundMax Intergrated Digital Audio, but still no luck
Still says no audio device
I did manage to get rid of the
>(yellow) multimedia audio controller

#12 chattanooga

chattanooga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:17 PM

i found the updated driver for my dell onboard sound card installed it and still shows "no audio device", i checked it and it is enabled

#13 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:31 PM

Allrighty... double click the device that controls your audio, then I want you to go to resources, and list everything it says, remember to scroll the bar too

#14 chattanooga

chattanooga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:24 AM

Allrighty... double click the device that controls your audio, then I want you to go to resources, and list everything it says, remember to scroll the bar too

ok i will post when i get back home, please stay tuned

#15 chattanooga

chattanooga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

under my SoundMAX Integrateed Digital Audio Properties>Resources

I/O Range EE00-EEFF
I/O Range EDC0-EDFF