Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

it's not looking good...  short story is, no display, not even external... and, it's not even showing up on my router.  Fan is on, power light is on... no other sign of life.

Long story... 

windows 8.1 Toshiba Satellite C55D.........   almost 2 years old.

My daughter is a LITTLE rough with it from time to time when she's upset but, nothing too bad.  There's no cracks, dents, or anything in it... hinges are fine... We've had laptops take far worse beatings and work fine...  so, I'm not sure if it's something that physically happened to it...  A few weeks back she brought it to me saying the screen wouldn't come on.  I took it, looked at it, and the screen came on for me.  Didn't give that another thought.  She used it yesterday with no issue.  But I couldn't get it on last night or today so far.

When you power it on, it seems as if nothing happens.  If you put your ear to it you can hear the fan...  nothing else... nothing.  Power light on the front and on the button are on.

Have tried plugging to external... messed with the button to switch to external... nothing. 

Got into my router and now seeing it show up...  I really don't think it's actually booting at this point...  hard to say for sure but doesn't seem it. 
Part of me wants to open it up just to see if something is loose or something but, I can't really picture that being the case.
Wondering if I need to just get a new mobo.  :(
Would hate to have to buy a new laptop.   

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

most likely a motherboard problem

#3 Luzgius

Luzgius

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

Hi, have you tried to do this one?:

1. Remove battery, and disconnect the power cord.
2. Press and hold down power ON button for ~30secs. 
3. Put the battery back in. 
4. Plug in the power cord and try turning it on.

also, are any of the LED indicators blinking? Just googled that Toshiba has error blink codes...

Edited by Luzgius, 19 June 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hi, have you tried to do this one?:

1. Remove battery, and disconnect the power cord.
2. Press and hold down power ON button for ~30secs. 
3. Put the battery back in. 
4. Plug in the power cord and try turning it on.

also, are any of the LED indicators blinking? Just googled that Toshiba has error blink codes...

I did try all of that with the battery, plugging it all back in, etc.  No luck   
And no indicators blinking.  In fact, currently, the only light that will come on is the one that shows it's charging.  :(

I opened it up... for a couple reasons.  1.  If I need a new MB, might as well look at the part#.  2.  Toshiba's troubleshooter suggested trying to re-seat the ram before repairing.  No luck with that.

More details... which point to MB as far as I can tell.

I decided to try powering it on while open.  The fan will spin for a couple seconds then shut off.  Turns out the sound I was hearing was the hdd spinning.   Tried powering on without the hdd... and without the memory.  Still not a thing.  Not boot screen... nothing.
Power is making it all around... to the hdd... to the lights on the front... across the board to the power button(which also lights up)

So...  I guess it's time to look at MB prices.  yay.  :(

#5 Luzgius

Luzgius

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

well, if you're going to buy a new motherboard anyways, try to do some research on reflow, might actually work if it's a motherboard problem

beforehand you can disconnect everything from the motherboard, hook it up to external monitor and try powering it up, in theory you should be able to get into BIOS unless it is motherboard failure 

Edited by Luzgius, 19 June 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

remove hard drive, remove ram

if it will not at least boot to bios then its your MB

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 630 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

Please follow closely as sometimes I don't explain well... or, I over-explain and people don't always follow everything I said.  :)

well, if you're going to buy a new motherboard anyways, try to do some research on reflow, might actually work if it's a motherboard problem

I've ignored this suggestion up to now but might look at it now.
Would like some opinions from other people as well if possible.   I've ignored up to now because what I've read(in the past) about reflow had to do with the gpu and, bad solder... an issue they had years back but thought they had worked that all out.  This laptop is 2 years old.  Wrote down some info while I had it open yesterday...    for anyone knowledgeable in this area, if this info helps.

K000891410  is the MB.  Made in China and has a date stamped on it of 2014-09-03.  So the MB is 2 1/2 years old.  I wasn't aware of any issues with the solder on anything that recent but, I'm not really in the know on these things.

Now, why am I considering the reflow possibility?  It turned on today...  yesterday, nothing.  Wasn't booting that I knew of.  Though, I can't say for sure.  Fan quit spinning after a couple seconds but the hdd was on.  Screen stayed blank... internal and external...  even without ram or hdd...  nothing.

Today my daughter opened it and the splash screen came up and then said it had to reset the date and time.  I'm assuming taking the battery out and holding the power button down for so long cleared the bios...  She got upset and closed it.  Opened it back up and back to nothing again.
This is confusing. 
I'm not sure where my infrared(or whatever you call it) thermometer is... but I have one, and a heat gun.  NEVER done a reflow before... and, don't exactly know if that's the issue... but, would love to hear a few more thoughts on this... before I try out another MB.  Looking around, there's only a few of this MB out there for sale... 
If money weren't such a frustrating issue I'd likely just get a new laptop but, let's try to get this one running before I go there.

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:17 PM

Please follow closely as sometimes I don't explain well

you don't seem to listen very well either,

if its not even getting to post/bios, then its your motherboard,

you seem to be in denial, or don't want to accept this

#9 Luzgius

Luzgius

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

basically, i have the same issue with my laptop right now (or so i think), as far as i did some research on reflow, i can tell that it's usually a short term fix (wouldn't call it a fix in most cases, as quiet a few techies mentioned, that they reflow only to diagnose the problem, which in your and my case, i assume, is the gpu chip, might be south bridge as well. yet again, i've read alot of stories telling that reflow did help and people are using reflowed motherboards for 2+ years without any issue). I have no experience with reflow myself tbh, but am trying to get my hands on the heat gun, might as well try it. 

If you'd decide to do a reflow, and it turns out to work, you might want to get your gpu replaced, should cost less than a brand new motherboard (as far as i thought about it, if you buy a used motherboard, chances are it is already reflowed). 

Also, same frustrating issue with money right here..... 

motherboard is a big thing. it's impossible for all of the components in it to be faulty/broken. 

Edited by Luzgius, 20 June 2017 - 01:40 PM.

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 630 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

Please follow closely as sometimes I don't explain well

you don't seem to listen very well either,

you seem to be in denial, or don't want to accept this

First off...  feel free to walk away from the conversation.  I have no patience for someone to have an attitude here.
Second, you cannot talk my friend.  I said in one post that I had tried booting without hdd or ram.  Your next post said to try that.  YOU weren't reading all I wrote.

I KNOW it's the motherboard... but, what part?  It could be the gpu... and, as I said already, I do not know if it's getting to bios or not...  if the screen wont work, I don't know what's happening in the background.  I ASSUMED it wasn't actually loading.
I am NOT in denial here.  But, I am cheap and quite poor.  It didn't work yesterday, worked some today.  I'm looking for all thoughts as there are people here on this site that know more than you do, that MIGHT(even if only a TINY TINY chance) have some more troubleshooting thoughts or simply suggest more info on the reflow.  I am an indecisive guy that really likes to weigh options and get opinions from more than two people before making a decision that involves money.  You can fault me for that if you wish but please don't insult me.

Sorry if I sound angry but, I just don't have patience for people with an attitude problem.
Either have patience with me or walk away.  I'm asking this, please.  I have anxiety and other issues that sometimes make such human interactions quite stressful for me.  I didn't need that response.

i can tell that it's usually a short term fix (wouldn't call it a fix in most cases, as quiet a few techies mentioned, that they reflow only to diagnose the problem

if you buy a used motherboard, chances are it is already reflowed). 

yeah, I had read that in the past as well that they can often fail again. 
I was hoping some of the more experienced members(someone?) might know something about this particular laptop and if there were any issues with the gpu.  Again, it seems that was an issue years back with some cheap solder but who knows.

And yeah, a used MB might already be fixed...  OR, and IF it was actually a common problem with this MB, it may be that a used board will just fail itself later on.
It's all a gamble really.

I could be wrong but I am thinking that the shortage of this particular MB on ebay and amazon might mean it's not one that frequently had problems... or, the opposite.  ha.
I just don't know.

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

"First off...  feel free to walk away from the conversation."

will do....i apologize for trying to help you free of charge....what was i thinking? 

"I have no patience for someone to have an attitude here."

I have gone back and read all my previous posts here, and the only attitude i can see is your own,

good luck with your computer, and im sorry i tried to help you :whistle:

Edited by mikey11, 20 June 2017 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users