Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Stops charging after few minutes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Peacerk

Peacerk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:05 AM

When I connect my laptop for charging using the power adapter, it starts charging and after few minutes it stops. The time changes every time, need not be a constant time when it stops. 

Notebook: 

HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ae008tx

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

What percentage is the battery?  HP laptops will normally change to 100% and then stop charging until the battery drops below 95%.

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

When I connect my laptop for charging using the power adapter, it starts charging and after few minutes it stops. .....

Sorry, my specialty is electronics, this is a reason why I have such a question.
How do you know that charging begins and then stops? Have you measured it in some way?

#4 Peacerk

Peacerk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

When I connect my laptop for charging using the power adapter, it starts charging and after few minutes it stops. .....

Sorry, my specialty is electronics, this is a reason why I have such a question.
How do you know that charging begins and then stops? Have you measured it in some way?

Let me elaborate what I have observed, when the battery level has reached some level it gives me a message saying to connect to an adapter for charging, and when I connect it, laptop starts charging, the battery symbol now shows a plug beside it indicating charging and a red light glows near the plug connected to the laptop stating the same. Now after few minutes, plug symbol and the light goes off which means the laptop is not charging, even there is no disconnection of the supply. 

I did some voltage measurement of the adapter to check if it is working properly. I first measured its voltage without connecting it to the laptop which measured around 19V and then connected to the laptop, And when the light goes off, I removed it and measured the voltage which was nothing. I then thought it could be an adapter issue. But I then realised that let us do an another scenario, this time I measured the voltage of the adapter at the initial stage after connecting to the socket and after few minutes probably around after 10 minutes, the voltage remains. Now the first case might be wrong due to this experiment.

This is all I did.

Your Suggestions are welcome.

What percentage is the battery?  HP laptops will normally change to 100% and then stop charging until the battery drops below 95%.

It stops at any battery level.

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

In this you are right - charger voltage must not be lost, and normally it is really a 19V - 19.5V (chargers may be a different and the voltage may be 14-24 volts), 19V is normal.
So I recommend to try some other charger, most likely it is the reason, but have been also, that the BIOS settings are changed and these lamps and warnings don't work correctly.

#6 Peacerk

Peacerk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:48 AM

In this you are right - charger voltage must not be lost, and normally it is really a 19V - 19.5V (chargers may be a different and the voltage may be 14-24 volts), 19V is normal.
So I recommend to try some other charger, most likely it is the reason, but have been also, that the BIOS settings are changed and these lamps and warnings don't work correctly.

I don't have an another spare charger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users