Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Backlight/Lamp Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 waifi

waifi

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

I'm not quite sure exactly when this started,  but it is becoming more and more of a problem. I want to see if I can possibly fix it or find a way around it until I am able to get a new computer.

I am currently running on win7 sony vaio laptop. The issue is that the lamp/back light goes out at some point. I believe if I idle too long it goes out and must sit shut down for quite a few hours before I can boot up again successfully. At first I thought it was failing to start all together, but I realized it was starting up just fine, the backlight was just out so my screen appeared blank/black.

I am able to use my computer at least once a day. If I shut down and restart more often than not it restarts fine. If I let it idle too long chances of it starting up again within the same day are slim. I am usually able to open it roughly 20-24 hours later after it goes out. 
So I'm not sure if it's a faulty wire or driver failure or something. I'm not that computer savvy, so I require some help!

Hopefully this can be sorted for the time being. 

Edited by Platypus, 19 June 2017 - 08:51 AM.
Deleted link & duplicate post - no longer required.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Luzgius

Luzgius

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

Well, easiest way around it would be to connect it to an external monitor and use it that way. 

I had that problem too, in my case the light bulb (? not sure if that is a correct term, it's a long light tube sort of thing) was failing, at first the issue was occurring rarely, then it got worse, up to a point where the backlight was not working at all.. You can either change the bulb itself (pretty hard to do, you'd have to disassemble the screen itself, and be careful since those bulbs are extremely fragile), change the whole screen (way easier) or hook the computer up to an external monitor or tv (easiest way).

edit. thinking about it, it can also be an inverter problem.. but since you are able to actually boot it up to a working state from time to time, i assume it's the backlight itself

Edited by Luzgius, 19 June 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#3 waifi

waifi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

Well, easiest way around it would be to connect it to an external monitor and use it that way. 

I had that problem too, in my case the light bulb (? not sure if that is a correct term, it's a long light tube sort of thing) was failing, at first the issue was occurring rarely, then it got worse, up to a point where the backlight was not working at all.. You can either change the bulb itself (pretty hard to do, you'd have to disassemble the screen itself, and be careful since those bulbs are extremely fragile), change the whole screen (way easier) or hook the computer up to an external monitor or tv (easiest way).

edit. thinking about it, it can also be an inverter problem.. but since you are able to actually boot it up to a working state from time to time, i assume it's the backlight itself

I have options now: I could invest in getting a simple screen or just wait around for this thing to finally go kapoot and get something new. I have an old tv monitor that I think would work perfectly, the only problem is...I have no idea if the monitor itself is busted. It was my parents' old tv but it stopped working after a storm. I always thought it might be the wire. Never got around to getting a wire to test it mostly because I didn't want to end up getting a wire for a potentially broken monitor. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:07 AM

There are two backlight methods used on a LCD screen the older CCFL bulb and the newer LEDs. If you have the older CCFL bulb it could be the inverter or the bulb itself. In a dark room shine a flashlight on the screen from a angle. Do you see the desktop or login screen. It will be very faint.

See this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCJzA0EBo0

I had an old laptop where the CCFL failed and decided to purchase a LCD screen with a LED backlight and a converter cable. The downside was I cannot change the screen brightness.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 June 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#5 waifi

waifi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

There are two backlight methods used on a LCD screen the older CCFL bulb and the newer LEDs. If you have the older CCFL bulb it could be the inverter or the bulb itself. In a dark room shine a flashlight on the screen from a angle. Do you see the desktop or login screen. It will be very faint.

See this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCJzA0EBo0

I had an old laptop where the CCFL failed and decided to purchase a LCD screen with a LED backlight and a converter cable. The downside was I cannot change the screen brightness.

Yea the screen still shows up but is very faint. I can see the login if I hold a light up to it at just the right angle but it takes me a million years to locate my cursor.

#6 Luzgius

Luzgius

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

i'd say investing in a simple/cheap screen is a good option (where i'm at you could buy a used, decent sized monitor for ~25€), when ever you'd decide to buy a new computer, you could still hook up the screen to a new one and have a dual display pc, which is pretty comfortable/fun to use :)

well, that's what i'd do, it's up to you to decide.

P.S. if you could borrow a multimeter somewhere, you could check the tv wire without the need of buying a new one straight away. you could also try disassembling the tv and checking if the fuses are not blown

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

I would have to think it's the backlight and not the inverter but you can purchase the small devices shown in the video on ebay for a fair price and check. Do not purchase the bare type. Buy one that is enclosed. Was the screen showing a pinkish tint before it went blank?

#8 waifi

waifi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

i'd say investing in a simple/cheap screen is a good option (where i'm at you could buy a used, decent sized monitor for ~25€), when ever you'd decide to buy a new computer, you could still hook up the screen to a new one and have a dual display pc, which is pretty comfortable/fun to use :)

well, that's what i'd do, it's up to you to decide.

P.S. if you could borrow a multimeter somewhere, you could check the tv wire without the need of buying a new one straight away. you could also try disassembling the tv and checking if the fuses are not blown

I may just look into getting a decent new or gently used monitor. At least I know it will work, and I can always use it in the future if it ends up not benefiting me now. Thanks!

#9 waifi

waifi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

I would have to think it's the backlight and not the inverter but you can purchase the small devices shown in the video on ebay for a fair price and check. Do not purchase the bare type. Buy one that is enclosed. Was the screen showing a pinkish tint before it went blank?

Yea, that's what I'm thinking as well. Well, I don't know if this is related or not, but for a while before the screen started going completely blank, there was a spot that eventually evolved into an entire corner of my screen dimming out. It's like well lit everywhere but in that one corner after I start up a small area is grayer and over time during usage it gets bigger but has stayed that bigger size and hasn't gotten any larger. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users